View post (How can you get fast?)

View thread

bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
10/01/2000 6:41 am
quote:
Originally posted by Luke:

If you've got what it takes, you'll be great, if you don't, then find something else to work at.

THey kind'a kill off the ones that don't have the discipline to work hard enough to experience what it's like to be able to play what you want when you want.

THe way I've always felt about music is as follows:

If you don't have the dedication to stick with it, find something else cause you're just getting in everyone else's way.

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 09-30-2000).]

I see what you're getting at but I think this is a relative matter and not one of absolutes. I mean, really, how does one know if one "has it" or not? What if I thought you didn't have what it took? Should I ask you to please get out of my way? Who's to say and how exactly would you be getting in my way or the way of anyone else? What way? Is this a race? Where's the fun? And how about if some people are later bloomers? I know guys who were less than mediocre for years and then, by sticking with it though the drought years, made dramatic breakthroughs. What if they had given up at the first sign of "not having what it takes"?

And "having what it takes" is relative to what you want to play. Blues? Country? Grunge? Folk? Each has variance in levels of technique and other things.

I figure the world is a big place and there's room for everyone. And if a person is happy to keep trying rather than falling out of some race just so they're not getting in somebody's way, then I say keep at it as long as it's fun.

discipline and hard work can get a person a long way but some people are happy not to put themselves through guitar boot camp just to meet somebody's external critera of what it takes to be good.

I don't know, it's a pretty complex set of issues. And, actually, I've seen lots of evidence over 20 years of playing and teaching that when some people stop trying so hard they make better progress than if they stuck their noses to the grindstone of "discipline" - in other words, there is no one right way to play guitar and no one right way to do anything. You gotta find your own way, in your own time, and find a place you're happy with.

Peace,

b

Shred Like Hell