String stretching

waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/01/2012 10:46 pm
I have a question I've always wanted to ask, how does a professional guitar tech change out strings every show and stretch them? Example: Joe Satriani's tech changes 6 sets of Floyd Rose with locking nuts every show. He cant possibly stretch them all by hand, does he? There must be a way other than by hand, my hand hurts stretching 1 set of strings.
Ron Wayland
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/02/2012 4:08 am
How does your hand hurt from stretching just 1 set of strings? You mean the treble strings since they are thinner/"sharper" feeling? If you had that problem in a tech setting I'm sure gloves would be an easy solution.

Not sure if there are any better ways, but I assumed the hand method was the best. I always did wonder about that though. Especially on a Floyd Rose set-up since those things can go out of tune easily and screw up your sound.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/02/2012 9:35 am
Just a tip; change and stretch each string one at a time. Don't rip 'em all off then re-string, then stretch.

Just my thought but, it is less of a shock to the guitar. Since the guitar works off of a balanced tension and particularly with a Floyd, keeps things nice and consistent.

Whether that's entirely true or not, just seems to be a good, harmless practice.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/02/2012 10:42 am
Originally Posted by: waylarI have a question I've always wanted to ask, how does a professional guitar tech change out strings every show and stretch them? Example: Joe Satriani's tech changes 6 sets of Floyd Rose with locking nuts every show. He cant possibly stretch them all by hand, does he? There must be a way other than by hand, my hand hurts stretching 1 set of strings.

Maybe this
http://www.barryrudolph.com/newtoys/toys7/stringstretcha.html
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/02/2012 2:59 pm
When I put a new set on my guitar the first thing I do is thoroughly stretch each string, I was taught that along time ago. People I know aren't patient enough and they wonder why their guitar goes out of tune the 1st. bend they do.
I saw that tool on utube, its a cool idea, I designed my own but never got it off the ground.
But my real question is how does a tech do it on the road? Especially Satriani, those strings have to be stretched right before you locks the nuts, if you ever had a Floyd Rose you know how irritating it is to have your guitar go out and you have to break out the Allan wrench?
There is a place where you can buy pre-stretched strings in Europe somewhere but I don't have a link.
Just lingering question I've had for along time, thanks!
Ron Wayland
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.