playing while under influence

Violaman
Violaman
01/24/2012 11:10 pm
I've hear a lot of things about inebriation while playing some people say they play marvelously better, I've heard people say they suck. I don't drink but after a couple bowls I can freestyle great, a skill that normally eludes me, but I can kiss anything that's written down goodbye, so do you always play sober? If not what do you take and why?
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/25/2012 12:12 am
I stay away from anything. I drink when I'm with my band though. I can tell you that you may THINK you are playing better, but chances are you sound horrible to everyone else. It annoys me that many people think just because some of the great musicians of our times used different things, that THAT is what made them better. No...talent is talent. You will not be the next Hendrix just because you take acid.
# 2
Violaman
Violaman
01/25/2012 1:57 am
Yeah its my opinion that anyone who takes drugs for superficial reasons are pretty pathetic with other players I don't touch a thing out of courtesy unless everyones down to toke and someone doest want to its all good and we play sober, nothing is more annoying than having someone screw the vibe because they can't mesh which isn't a problem if you're stoned
# 3
Gloucester
Gloucester
01/31/2012 10:25 pm
Hmm lol I think that alcohol reduces your senses generally I've not touched over drugs tbh but when I used to drink as a student it was only socially and not to generate creativity.

I'm not anti don't get me wrong but I think.you should rely on inner strength not.chemicals.
# 4
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
02/02/2012 8:40 am
I've had this discussion some time ago with a couple of friends and we came up with the golden rule 'two to three drinks makes you flow easier with the music, anything more and it just screws you up'.
Alcohol makes you relax and I think therefor it's easier to play with feeling because it makes you feel more susceptible/comfortable to express yourself, it becomes more natural to let those emotions flow into your music, but the feeling's gotta be there to begin with. Music comes from the heart and alcohol makes your heart more accessible.
But more than those two or three drinks influences your senses to a point where you'll notice your abilities to lessen as does your judgment over them. It's simple math really.

I don't have any experience with other drugs (well I don't really count marijuana as drugs cause it's weak comparing, but I've never played with it), I support the opinion that music has to come naturally, but it's also a fact that drugs do enhance your perception and unlock creativity. I just don't think it's wise to rely on that, especially when playing live!
= good music is good drinking =
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.