View post (Very Frustrated)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/25/2012 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: tsphillipsTake it slow -- very, very slow if necessary -- and isolate the specific finger movements that are giving you trouble. Go very slow and deliberate (move your fingers in place with your picking hand if you need to) and repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't burn out on long practice sessions -- lots of short practice sessions over time. You'll get there! :-)

Tom

What Tom said... that's it exactly. You know, a lot of people won't do it... we've all been there... "ok ok, I can get it... I... opps! Ah, crap! Hang on, I got it.. no! wait.. twang!..." and it goes on. BREAK IT DOWN! I swear to god, you will learn chords so much faster when you are wiling to make hideous sounds on your guitar as you put one finger down, play through the "chord", make sure you aren't messing up... ok, it sounds bad but the strings are playing cleanly, add the next, repeat... and build it up SLOWLY.... putting your fingers in all at once is just too much at first.

Think your fingers can't reach? Spread your fingers apart with your hand in front of your face palm outward... now turn your hand around, keeping your fingers spread out, and lay them across your fretboard.. you'll have lots of reach, and your first finger is even making the "bar" just like its supposed to!

Stick with it, you'll get it... seems hard/impossible at first, but it will come with time.

Cal