View post (Some demos)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2012 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboHey. I have put together a few demos so far that I have uploaded if anyone is interested.[/quote]
Awesome! It's wonderful that you are creating original stuff & putting it out there, Razbo.

I think the criticisms Slipin Lizard offered were fair & helpful. I'll add a couple of other things that stuck out.

Recording wise, are you using a compressor or pre-amp? That can help make the recorded input signal a little more "present"; 3-D or lively instead of thin & sterile. What kind of mic are you using to record to vox & guitars?

Composition & arrangement wise, you've got some good raw ideas on sections & contrasts (intro, verse, chorus, solo, etc.). But I think they could be tightened up more & made more contrasting. You can do this by a fill, a rhythmic "space", a different guitar sound, a harmony vocal, a ride cymbal instead of the high-hat, etc. Just something to clearly indicate the boundary between each section.

Also, dynamics. You have a little bit of dynamics, gradually building the song up & bringing it back down. But even within sections, you can build the tension more, for example by starting sparcely, then making the bass or guitar more active or louder as the section progresses. Then, building it to a precise peak before breaking clearing into the next section. Just one example of how to do this. What I am talking about is making a "story arc" out of the music that matches the ideas & emotional content of the lyrics. :)

And speaking of lyrics, they are sincerely meant in thought & emotional content. But I don't think the melody you use (the notes you sing) to get them across supports them as well as they could. This is not a criticism of your voice per se! But of how you are using your voice. Again, try to create a story arc to each line, verse, chorus, the overall song. Play the melody on the guitar. Think in musical terms as you write & sing the lyric to impart a melodic arc.

I hope these ideas help. I admire you for creating original music & sharing it with us. Kudos. :)
[QUOTE=Razbo]
Anyway, hope somebody like's 'em.

I hope you like them. That's what matters. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory