why the hate for rap?

wingman23
wingman23
02/27/2012 12:03 am
Never did like Rap myself, its one of those things like Marmite, (or opera singers) you love it or you hate it, there is no in between, but thats the point of the kids doing it, its to feck the older generation off, its a sort of rebellion,making your mark in the world, so really you want older folks to hate it, thats the point. it wouldnt be part of the youth culture if it was main stream.
In my day it was ACDC and motorhead.(the devils music) as my mum used to call it, which made me love it even more.
# 1
ggar1959
ggar1959
03/18/2012 9:50 pm
Great subject,
I personally don't consider Rap music, so much as urban poetry. While I understand its social significance, musically it leaves a lot to be desired. I would also point out as a guitar player it really leaves a lot to be desired.
Another reason for the (hate is a strong word), dislike of Rap music I believe has to do with the way the music industry, and radio moguls have crammed Rap, Hip Hop, and Pop Country down our throats for all these years. There is a lot of really good music that's been made over the 90s, and the past decade, that never got airplay, and most of it was good old fashion guitar driven rock music.
Don't get me wrong, even though I am in my 50s, there are a few Rap songs I think are worthy of airplay and I even like, but the complete manipulation of the airways to play Rap. Hip Hop, and Pop Style Country and the total lack of airplay for any new Rock has really turned me into me into a anti Rap, anti Hip Hop kinda guy.
Lastly, again the main issue I have with Rap is the lack of any guitar play in most of the songs. Really sad to see to what popular music has been reduced to IMO.
# 2
bj2151
Full Access
bj2151
Full Access
03/19/2012 2:21 pm
The quote below pretty much sums up all the different genres of music to me. The gist is to learn to create music if you want to be called a musician. If it makes you tap your foot a few times then it's great, but please do not reproduce and overproduce it.

"I think that’s what it’s about for me – the craft. I mean, the packaging leaves me cold, and so much of music today is the packaging and the presentation, the video and the promotion, and you’ve got to unwrap everything to find out if the craft is there. To me, music is either good or bad if it makes me feel something. If it doesn’t make me feel anything, I’m just indifferent to it. Like Madonna is a phenomenon that I recognize, but she doesn’t make me feel anything, I can’t identify with her on any level, because all she is, is production and packaging." -Eric Clapton
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.