View post (why the hate for rap?)

View thread

mpleines
mpleines
02/23/2012 12:00 pm
I have to say I really hate rap (and house, and hiphop etc.) too.
It's not the lyrics, the musicality (or lack thereof, although in fact I doubt that's true, there are bound to be great musicians in any style), the anger or the gangsta image or whatever...

It's just the music itself really gets on my nerves! Something in the rhythms just makes me irksome and irritable, and I have lost friends that way...

What I really hate is when they do this manic rapping over a laid-back, slow-handclap type backing...I just can't stand that.

There are lots of other music styles I don't like, but most I can ignore. Rap just drives me up the wall.

It sounds kind of monotonous to me too, and there appears to be little variety in the genre-it all sounds very similar and repetitive. Sure, the fans will see all kinds of subtle or not-so-subtle differences and sub-genres but it's lost on me.

Having said all that, the kind of music that I do like (Rock'n'Roll) once had the very same effects on the older generation (to which I now belong) too... ;-)

P.S./Edit:
I'm really curious about the kind of music that will, eventually, be driving the rap generation up the wall!