View post (why the hate for rap?)

View thread

KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
02/03/2012 3:39 am
1 - I don't see the same "musicianship" in Rap music.

I recently got a copy of Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler - Neck and Neck. I don't claim to be an expert in all things guitar but I feel like I have learned a lot in the time I have been playing(learning). But there are a couple of different points on the album where I can't begin to visualize what they are doing. I don't know how I would ever have the same experience when listening to Rap.

It just seems to me that the music is too often computer generated.

2 - And it seems that there is a lot of celebration of anti-social/criminal behavior. Most of the best songs, lyrically, are those that we can all relate to. If most rap fans can relate to most of the subject matter in rap songs then we better start building some more prisons.

Many forms of music will include some questionable subject matter but when I completely stopped listening to rap, it see that every song was just filled with vile material. It was all cop-killin, B$%^h slappin, cap poppin' BS. At first, I think this style was called "gangsta-rap" but then it ALL seemed to turn into the same style.

Prior to the gangster-rap, I found a fair amount of it entertaining, But I think we'd all be better off if the gangsta stuff was still a fringe element. My guess is that this opinion is shared my many and THAT is a big part of why it is as popular as it is. The same things could be said about some of the dark metal but that has remained a fringe element, IMO.

Having said all of that, I would listen to all but the hardest, darkest rap over most non-rap that my oldest daughter(13) listens to.