Another New Guy Introduction

BlueCap
BlueCap
01/12/2012 11:56 pm
Greetings,

I think my membership at guitartricks will be a good thing. I've always wanted to take guitar lessons but my travel schedule is irregular and can't commit to a specific time slot every week. I also can't practice regularly so that creates obvious challenges.

I'm a 50 year old regional jet captain, have been playing for 35 years, have more nice guitars and more nice tube amps than I'll ever need.

I guess I'd label myself an advanced intermediate level player but I'm just not as good as I want to be.

I play "feel good" rock material - mostly blues oriented stuff. I can play the SRV I-IV-V shuffle in any key with a modest set of solo chops on top of it, fair renditions of 'Hey Joe', 'Purple Haze', 'All Along the Watch Tower', 'Wind Cries Mary', 'Midnight Rambler', 'Monkey Man', the first 30 seconds of EC's 'Crossroads', 'All Your Love' from the Beano album, Chuck Berry material and Brian Setzer material. Albert Collins, Albert King, Muddy Waters and many others are present on the list of artists I try to emulate.

I enjoy playing the music of my heroes, but always return to the blues for personal expression. My solo phrasing is finally settling into place and it's starting to feel and sound good - it's a semi-dirty/chimey tone with simple but aggressive chops.

The next steps I want to take are - 1) tastefully connecting or transitioning my solo work between chords on extended blues soloing, 2) creating more interesting chops and 3) developing that fretboard 'pop' that hails from nice chicken-pickin.

My ultimate goal is to perform on an open-mic stage with a quality delivery.

I'm overseas right now on my final mil gig and will retire upon my return the continental U.S. after 26 years of combined active and reserve service.

So, that's my story and I'm pleased to join up with you.

BlueCap
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.