Hello new friends

jjb11554
jjb11554
01/08/2012 2:09 am
I just signed up with G-Tricks and am looking forward not only to learning, but also to being part of the 'community'. After viewing a couple of other introductions, I am feeling very much at home. I thought I would be out of place as an old dog trying to learn new tricks at my ripe age of 54. It is so encouraging to see other seasoned adults as well as younger folks. I guess we are all young at heart and our affinity for guitar is a great equalizer.

I started to teach myself some basics through books and such, only about a dozen years ago, but then put the guitar down and am just picking up again after 5 or 6 years. This looks like a great learning opportunity. I'm glad to be on the journey with all of you.

Peace,

John
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/08/2012 5:23 am
Hi John, welcome to the site! What lessons are you starting with? Are you playing acoustic or electric?

Cal
# 2
jjb11554
jjb11554
01/08/2012 10:43 pm
Hey Cal,

I'm going back to square one, went through Core I pretty quickly just to get up to speed - there's always something to learn. Now into Core II and dabbling here and there with some other things as I find my way around the site.

I'm playing an Ovation Standard Balladeer, acoustic-electric, but I never plug in. My son left his Stratocaster behind (no room in his apartment for amp), so I have access to that, but will stick with acoustic for now.

Regards,

John
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/09/2012 2:18 am
Sounds like you have a nice guitar to play with! I actually recorded a guy playing an Ovation one time; he was really disappointed when I miked the guitar with a Neuman TLM103... he was sure the built-in pickup would sound better but it didn't... but hey, you can't beat Neuman!

You should check out Lisa's McCormick's "Fingerpicking for Beginners" series if you have any interest in fingerpicking. You can learn new chords and how to fingerpick at the same time... her lessons are really easy to follow... I felt like I got a lot out of them.

Good Luck!

Cal
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.