Group Instruction Tips? (Herding Cats)

tsphillips
tsphillips
01/02/2012 8:31 pm
Happy New Year!

Does anyone have any experience with or tips for group instruction?

In a few weeks I will start teaching a beginning guitar course to about ten kids ages 9-11. The course is part of a home schooling cooperative and not-for-profit. The class will meet once a week for just under an hour, over a period of ten weeks.

I don't have a problem with the course content, but uncertain about classroom management. The ground rules will include not talking or making sounds unless called upon, and everyone will have a practice log to maintain. I am expecting a diverse assortment of guitars, to include the toys sold at the big box stores. (To prepare for this I actually went out and got the cheapest guitar I could find -- a plastic First Act Discovery from Walmart -- and practiced a fair amount to become familiar with its limitations.) I am expecting a lot of work coping with tuning and intonation problems.

Anyways, if anyone has experience with this sort of thing, I'd love to hear about it.

Best regards,
Tom
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
01/03/2012 6:47 pm
Hi Tom,

Good question! You might want to ask one of our instructors on their forum page! Hope this helps!

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.