How do you write the singers part?

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/21/2002 8:44 pm
Okay, I'm alright with the guitar parts and i can write lyrics but when i put the two together I always end up with the singer doing the same sort of tune. How could i improve this? get the tune first and then do that chords?

The same pattens of chords get used over and over again by countless bands but the songs always sound different.....it's frustrating that what i write always works out with every song sounding the same. I do NOT want to be like Oasis or Hoobastank.....HELP!
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/22/2002 12:58 am
Normally a singer should write his own line for he´s the one who must transport the song to the crowd, and he only can do that if he does what HE feels for this song and expresses it in his lyrics and melody.

But there are those musician who need YOU to write their part for they have difficulties in creating their own stuff. In that case (i can only emphasise this over and over again) you should have some basic knowledge about music theory - arrangement of triads (classical) is very helpfull. Also, u have to pay attention to the singer himself. you should write stuff that he can actually sing - it makes no sense to write soprano stuff for a baritone singer.

That again influences the arrangement of the song. The vocals must have enough space in a song to be heard! Heavy distorted guitars for example are at the same pitch (mid range) as "normal" vocals, so they might take up the space of the singer - this is the reason why many Heavy vocalists are singing extremely high.

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
blackrose
blackrose
03/22/2002 2:15 pm
heres a simple solution. learn to sing and sing it for your regular singer. he won't have any excuses that way.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/22/2002 4:44 pm
The melody is what comes to me first. This is what the singer gets. Anything I do after that is meant to accompany the melody. The instruments are brought in to harmonise or accent the melody, sometimes to reinforce it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/22/2002 10:04 pm
that's an odd and difficult question...
hmmm... why dont you come up with a simple lead to your chord progression and then use it for vocal.. I mean that way you know that the melody works... and then maybe fits the words round the melody...
There are some great songs which just dont bother trying to match vocals with the melody too much... have a listen to "pay no mind" by beck... great little song, sounds odd.. but works...
My best advice is simply to experiment... cos songwriting is possibley the most unique aspect of being a musician... so find your own style..
good luck
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/25/2002 3:01 am
I play guitar, write my own lyrics to harmonize and keep rythm. I play rythm guitar and sing so I like to keep up with the guitar add a fill in go into a chorus and do the same. The lead harmonizes with me. and as long as you keep everything in key it should sound good but thats just my formula/
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.