View post (Waste of time to learn solos note by note?)

View thread

vtguitarrocks
vtguitarrocks
12/01/2011 2:48 am
Can only speak for myself on this one, but I am almost a year into playing guitar. So, after having lessons for a few months, practicing scales and chords and rythums and techniques, and all that very important stuff...

I now am into the Hotel California solo's. Rather advanced for my skill level at this point, but hey, why not? :-)

For about the last three weeks I have been practicing them over and over. I'd like to be able to play something that sounds like a song, so diligently I've plodded on. And, guess what? I now can play something that sounds near what the solo's are supposed to sound like. Neat stuff. Anders is really good at explaining them, if you haven't seen his lesson yet on that song, check it out.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that my ability to see the frets and notes where they are in relation to the whole neck is much better because of these last three weeks...also, my fingers and hands have really gotten stronger, that has to be good. Lots of good can come for doing more practice, obviously. So, I feel that it has not been a waste of time for me to practice soloing, but of course...still practice your chords every night. ;-)