Been here for a month but might as well

BadgerDave52
Full Access
BadgerDave52
Full Access
12/01/2011 1:13 am
Been playing guitar for ten years now, since I was fourteen. Although I'm not as good as I should be for having played ten years. I wasted a lot of those years by either "practicing poorly" (just played my favorite songs I could play instead of trying to improve) or focusing on other things. About a month ago I realized that I really wanted to take the next step since playing music is my biggest passion, so I joined the site, and a month later I feel as if I've improved more than I have in the last 5 years or so.

Anyway, as far as my styles, Metallica was my favorite band as a kid and they got me into playing guitar, so I still enjoy listening to them and playing their music though not so much. I'm the biggest Red Hot Chili Peppers (and obviously John Frusciante fan) so I'm really trying to absorb as much as possible about funk guitar and that kind of alternative rock. I also really enjoy playing bluesy rock. Other artists' styles that I really like are John Mayer (hate the guy, love his guitar playing) and Keith Urban (country rockstar).
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/02/2011 12:10 am
Welcome, BadgerDave52!

It's great to have you here, and I'm glad our lessons are helping you on the guitar! Sounds like you have some great musical influences too.

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Johnny014
Johnny014
12/07/2011 3:08 pm
You have taken a big step in that you have been honest with yourself. Not many people look into the mirror and ask where they have gone wrong. It sounds like you are well on your way now. Good Luck!
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
12/07/2011 6:00 pm
You sound just like me.....My favorite band was also Metallica when I started. they were what kept me playing. I too practiced poorly and pretty much played only songs I liked. By the time I was in 8th grade I could play pretty much any Metallica song (not all solos of course), but if you asked me to improvise 3 notes, I couldn't. I've since UPGRADED :D to Megadeth being my favorite band

I made the decision around mid-college to really get serious and start learning WHAT I was playing, not just how to play physically. It's a tough road ahead, but just stick to it.
# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2011 11:02 pm
It's sometimes about "how" we practice as opposed to "how much." You learning as much as you have from the site in a short time is a true testament to that. Glad we could help!

If you are into funk guitar styles, I have done a few tutorials on some R&B funk tunes that I think would really help you get some of those concepts under your fingers. Check these out.

Chaka Khan - Sweet Thing
Parliament - I Wanna Testify
Isly Bros. - It's Your Thing

I also did a John Mayer Artist Study a few years ago as well. It's solely on his acoustic playing, so if you are into that here it is.
John Mayer Acoustic Tutorial

Enjoy!
Douglas Showalter
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.