Wow... what happened to this site

Hootayah
Hootayah
11/12/2011 4:50 am
It used to be for all kinds of guitarists including major advanced ones.
Now all you've got it a paid service giving beginner guitar lessons.

Even the forum which used to be a place to hang out seems to be so censured as to be a waste of time.

You guys majorly went down the tubes.... so what is it.... money? that's the reason.?
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 1
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
11/12/2011 12:48 pm
Really, I must be logged into the wrong Guitar Tricks..!
# 2
adir olf
adir olf
11/12/2011 4:10 pm
Originally Posted by: HootayahIt used to be for all kinds of guitarists including major advanced ones.
Now all you've got it a paid service giving beginner guitar lessons.?

Wow, you must have gone through all the songs, artist studies, techniques and are quite advanced at this point! Thats great! You're probably makin' a lot of money! Maybe they can hire you to "up the antie" of the site.
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 3
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
11/12/2011 5:47 pm
Well the layout probably as changed in the last 10 years. You should try looking around a bit more. There's still a lot of videos for advance guitar players. Also, they are currently in the process of remaking all there videos in HD. The videos you used to watch probably where in standard definition. Be patient they will come back.
# 4
Hootayah
Hootayah
11/13/2011 2:14 am
It's not the same as it used to be. Not to try and sound ignorant or anything, but taking lessons from fat guys, old woman and some weirdo right turns me off immediately. Then the lessons are explained like you're listening to a childrens program. I'm not trying to be prejudicial, but the old teachers knew how to talk to people and hanging out in the forum was so much of a pleasure that most of the time we didn't even talk about guitar.
It was just nice to know there was a place to visit every day.

I remember videos from about 5 years ago that used to blow me away even if they were in low resolution. I could see that the guys had major accomplishments under their belt and even though I guess one of the requirements to be a teacher here is to know theory...the theory portion was toned down and put into perspective. In some guys case, there wasn't any theory at all. Just GuitarTRICKS, which is what the site was meant to be.

I'm not slagging the place, but it's just gone mainstream beginners stuff. Anybody who's played for 20 years already knows all the things being taught here.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 5
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
11/13/2011 3:57 pm
about the way things WERE aren't making you look all that awesome either. These "Fat" guys and "Old" ladies happen to be doing a fine job in doing what they have set out to do, and that is to teach players, both novice and advanced things that might be overlooked.
Things change, people change, and most of all, the internet changes. If you've not learned that, or have come to accept that, I'd suggest that you find another hobby. Your negativity doesn't make you a very likable person, and downing some place that others enjoy REALLY doesn't for sure.
If you don't like it, it's like a channel on the television or radio, either don't watch it, change it or just remove it from your favorites. Not a SINGLE person on this site has held a gun to your head to make you sit there and bitch about things.
Again, I am sorry that you dislike anything that has changed over the past 10 years, but that is life. Everything either progresses in a good way or a bad way, deal with it.
Sorry my GT friends for having to say something about this pompous ass, he really was getting annoying.
# 6
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
11/13/2011 3:59 pm
I've heard from PROFESSIONALS that have play longer that 20 years, you can NEVER know EVERYTHING about ANYTHING.. so if you happen to KNOW EVERYTHING, then why aren't you an instructor to the PROFESSIONALS?
# 7
majormajor
majormajor
11/13/2011 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: HootayahI'm not slagging the place [/QUOTE]

Yes, you are, mate.

[QUOTE=Hootayah]Anybody who's played for 20 years already knows all the things being taught here.

Well, go away then :rolleyes:
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/13/2011 6:36 pm
Hi Hootayah

I was not here back in the way beginning of this site but have for the past three years. While the site may have moved on from what you remember, I think John has done an outstanding job of taking a nitch site and successfully turning it into a business. I'd be afraid to think of how much money I'd have spent on in person guitar lessons to match what this website has taught me.

Has it changed from what you remember it being? Sure, it has, having said that I'm willing to bet he has reached a much wider audience as well. I think they have done a magnificent job of structuring a core learning system that branches out into separate areas.

Also, not ALL the videos are constrained to the core learning system either. The instructors are always putting out new video series that are not associated to the core. Lots of in goal specific in depth structured series of lessons. There are still a lot of videos.

Just to ask, you indicated that this place used to be just about "guitar tricks", what type of material do you feel is no longer available that was back in the day?
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 9
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/13/2011 7:23 pm
As a full, paying member I find the OP offensive and I would appreciate seeing this entire thread removed from the forum. It serves no utility for those of us actually supporting this site.
# 10
3donkey
3donkey
11/13/2011 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardAs a full, paying member I find the OP offensive and I would appreciate seeing this entire thread removed from the forum. It serves no utility for those of us actually supporting this site.

I totally agree.
# 11
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/13/2011 8:14 pm
Although I agree that pretty much everything the OP said was wrong and inconsiderate, I don't think the thread should be deleted necessarily. Any feedback or complaints are information that a business can use to look at itself and see where it can improve. He went about it the completely wrong way though.

Editing out the unnecessary comments (ignorant and childish comments berating others) would be a better idea.

I do KIND OF see his point on the shift the site has taken towards a more "beginner" state. I joined about 6 years ago and I remember a lot more talk about "guitar tricks" like he mentioned. Advanced techniques like sweep picking or tapping were common in the forums. There seemed to be a lot more intermediate/advanced users in the forums themselves always having different conversations.

I think it's more of an issue with forums in GENERAL though, not just this forum. Forums aren't the social gathering places of the internet like they used to be. I am a frequent follower of a couple forums and all have had declines in traffic. One is almost a ghost town now. All of them are specific in their areas of expertise whether it's music, computers, or something else. People have easier access to information across the internet these days. Now that you can easily find anything you want on the internet through sites like Google or YouTube, there is less of a need to come to a forum and have discussions. I don't really ask questions here too often any more because if I have a question, I just type it into Google and get an answer way quicker than I would on any forum.
# 12
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
11/13/2011 9:59 pm
I totally agree with hunter and he has a valid point about forums in general not being the social gathering places they used to be.

I've been around for quite a while and I've witnessed the change this place has gone though, but in now way have I found any drop in quality. On the contrary; the site has never been this structured and easy to access with so many high-quality information.

That said; I suggest you blame others a little less and think a little more yourself before you post.
= good music is good drinking =
# 13
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/13/2011 10:20 pm
...and when the thinking has gone on for a while, suggest some additions/changes that can make the place better. Meanwhile,

"...to dwell in the past is a waste of spirit."
Mayor Maurice Minnifield
Cicely, AK
(Northern Exposure ;) )
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 14
adir olf
adir olf
11/14/2011 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801 ....I don't think the thread should be deleted necessarily. Any feedback or complaints are information that a business can use to look at itself and see where it can improve. He went about it the completely wrong way though.

When I first read the post by Hooteyah I reacted a little defensively. I am an advanced beginner and have loved this site. I love the way it is structured and lessons communicated, the varietly of instructors and it works for me perfectly. My goal is to be taught by this site 100% so I'd like to know that when I really get good I still have somthing here for me. I never want to go anywhere else :) I like all the people, the look of the site and would hate to go somewhere else.

I'd like to see a whole section on theory, and maybe its here, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I also like how little pieces of theory have been brought in here and there. I like to know a little more about why things are then just ... this is how you do it.

I don't have a long term perspective so technically, how can I say anything?

I did appreciate the comments from RickBlacker and Hunter1801 and agree with both. I like how RickBlacker asked for specifics and I agree with Hunter that the posts by Hooteyah had information that might be useful to a buisness.
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 15
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/14/2011 11:55 am
I think maybe the b*tching is about the limit of free lessons. It's nice to get stuff free, and it is out there to find, but if you don't know what to look for, you can miss stuff.

For myself, I prefer an organized and trusted source for learning. I paid by the month several times before settling in (and had been subscribed to other paying sites as well). I have just purchased a 3rd one-year (at least third) subscription. I will let that speak for itself.

As for the forums, yeah, it's a little dry, but the paid section is really what counts, and the instructors are generally excellent with communications. Something you won't get much of posting questions to some YouTube guy.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 16
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/14/2011 6:29 pm
I would delete the thread simply because it has no value. If it had any constructive criticism it would be different, but since those of us who participate can not force ourselves into 20 years of advanced level experience, and since the OP offers none of his own experience in assisting those with less experience, this would not qualify. To be perfectly honest, I would delete it simply on the basis that it is unprovoked and personally insulting to people offering the value of their experience for what I'm sure is not an exorbitant financial reward, but a reward in sharing something that has brought them a lot of happiness in life.

I'm not usually as nice as you folks on here, but having observed your patience and helpfulness toward others, I'm holding my pen from the full wrath and fury of what I would like to say. :D
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 17
mingury
mingury
11/17/2011 7:30 am
I have finally joined GuitarTricks for a full year membership today! :)

Playing guitar for nearly 20 years on and today, I still find learning and playing "basic" stuff very touching and heart warming. This seems to be more the case as you play and grow old with the instrument (at least for me!).

I believe that everyone is a learner ultimately, and believe once you deny that then you stop 'learning' from that point on. Why would professional players stress of going over endless "basic" practice schedules?

To the TC, please begone and stop insulting people who are only passionate about playing guitar. :mad: Your arrogance really ticks me off.
# 18
obobsmith
Full Access
obobsmith
Full Access
11/17/2011 3:24 pm
This guy is not a happy bunny , but really it's his problem imo you stop learning when they hammer the nails in your coffin.
I've been plying for 30 odd years and can wrestle a tune out of my LP copy ( that is no doubt another sore point for our advanced player) , I get there in the end with my playing. However having had a look at this site and others I can see the worth of Guitar Tricks and will be signing up as soon as I sort my PayPal account out as I think I will learn how and why for the first time ever as I've never been able to afford lessons before. :)
# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/23/2011 3:32 pm
*opens his coffin and wipes some dust off his clothes*

So.. this is my 10th year on the site and even if i haven't been very active in the past five due to personal reasons i still very much love to visit this place. I miss a lot of the old fellas who used to be fun and mind-tickling to talk to.

Yes the site has become more structured and - at least in the Forum itself - has stepped down a few levels guitar-wise. It is not the sort of "geeky" place where guitar-gods meet and discuss how to cram another 5 zillion notes into one second anymore. Is that due to the re-structuring? No. No one ever told them to stop talking about Shred, Sweep, Tap, Magic, whatever. The ppl changed, some have left, some have come. That is quite natural.

There is, however, one very big advantage to this Board compared to many others that i have been to (on various topics). The level is and has always been a very high one in terms of social competence. Hardly any flamewars, mindless arguing, trolling etc.

Looking at the topography of todays internet, this is a VERY valuable and rare thing.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.