How has GT helped you personally?

Steadythisknife
Steadythisknife
10/31/2011 7:39 pm
Hello everyone! I am new here and have been going over this site in some fine detail. So far I like what I see. It seems to be very oragnized good detailed lessons with great quality vids.

My question is how has this site helped you with your guitar playing? How long did you play (if at all) prior to beginning lessons here, and at what skill level were you? Where are you now as a result and after how long? What knowlage have you gained now, or what new skills have you aquired that you did not contain prior to Guitar Trick lessons?

I have been playing 16 years self-taught, and in the last 6 years or so get extremely bored with guitar, but since finding out about this site, I am very eager to play, as if I have just picked it up for the first time like when I was 12. It feels great to be ambitious about playing guitar again and have it be apart of my life.
# 1
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
11/01/2011 3:13 pm
I was a total noob. I hadn't ever had the time to mess around with the guitar let alone get down and learn any songs. I've tried a lot in the past.
I am 43 myself and picked up the guitar seriously this past Christmas and with the tutorials from GT (And quite honestly from other sites as well such as Youtube) I am throwing down some songs from Metallica, Cream, ZZ Top and many others... I'm not good enough to kick the lead on a lot of songs thanks to the neuropathy in my hands, but I am doing good enough to keep up the rhythm on them.
The GT folks are some great people on the forums and off. I keep in touch with folks like JD Jarrel and Bobby Howe through Facebook and even have Lisa McKormick there, although she's not too chatty on the FB thing :D
If you really get stuck and post your questions on the ask a tech or need to ask an instructor, you will get a response back fairly quickly. Chris Schlegel is awesome about getting back with ya on issues and usually posts the link to the answers in the forums on which lesson you will need to follow as well.
Hanspeter among others will get on here as well, just takes them a little bit longer at times, but they do pop in and lend advice.
All in all, you really can't go wrong with the lessons and forums for learning THE CORRECT WAY! I say that as so because unlike other sites, GT actually takes the time to go through the proper channels to get the rights to teach you the way the song was done by the artists, gives you the background to the song, the tablatures and lesson. Being taught the correct way may be harder, but in the end, wouldn't you rather learn the correct way and impress folks instead of learning the other way and look like a fool to someone who knows how to play?
So to sum things up, a little under a year and I am at level 4 on a lot of tunes here...I try to practice at least an hour a day....

Thanks my GT friends! *I know you get tired of hearing me say that :D
Love you guys and gals
Howard
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/03/2011 2:13 pm
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the nudge! I'll try to get my Facebook thing more in shape!

Be well, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/03/2011 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: hrandersoniii If you really get stuck and post your questions on the ask a tech or need to ask an instructor, you will get a response back fairly quickly. Chris Schlegel is awesome about getting back with ya on issues and usually posts the link to the answers in the forums on which lesson you will need to follow as well.

Thanks for noticing. :) I try to answer all lesson questions in 1-2 business days.

Howard, this is really good feedback. We appreciate it very much. Glad to hear you are enjoying GT so much. Have fun playing guitar!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.