View post (Hello! First guitar lessons!)

View thread

ndrewoods
ndrewoods
11/25/2011 8:07 am
Originally Posted by: Steadythisknife[u]Hello everyone!

I am brand new to this site. Actually this is my first "formal" guitar lessons training I will be receiving, as I have been playing guitar for 16 years self taught. I am 28 years old and ready to get to the skill level I "should" be at by now.

The problem is I peaked years and years ago skill-wise, and have been playing the same old things over and over for about 7 years. I decided it's time, and that I owe it to myself to improve my skills as a guitar player.
My skills are very basic, and I don't know any of the "whys". I have basically just learned off of tabs. I don't know the notes, or the chord names or anything. I have never even learned a single scale. (I get embarrassed to say how long I have been playing, considering I have the skills of a newbie) But not entirely as I am very familiar with the guitar and I can pick, and fret well I just need guidance on what's next and to learn the whys!

Thanks for reading my rambling rant. If you have any suggestions for a guitar player like me, let them fly at me! I'm open for all suggestions.

Good day fellows![/u]

I feel the same way. For some years, I have been playing guitar by self taught but I felt there are still a lot of room for improvement for the guitar playing skills. So I took guitar lessons and is still learning more, from this site, to fully enhance my guitar playing.
I wish they'd had electric guitars in cotton fields back in the good old days. A whole lot of things would've been straightened out. - Jimi Hendrix