Chicka chicka... all strings muted (Like in Teen Spirit)

Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
10/25/2011 6:05 pm
Hey folks,

I'm having a lot of trouble with this particular technique, and I don't even know what it's called!

For example, Teen Spirit's progression (which I'm sure everyone knows) is:

F5 F5 F5 *chicka chicka* A#5 A#5 *chicka* G#5 G#5 G#5 *chicka chicka* C#5 C#5 *chicka* repeat ad nauseum.

For some reason I'm having an extremely difficult time finding a way that works for me to get a good sound out of those chicka chicka parts, and then get back to the power chord fingering.

So I guess the question is two-fold:

What is this technique called?
What can I do to get better at it?

Thanks guys, sorry if this is super basic stuff!
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/26/2011 3:14 am
I don't know if it's known as different things, but I just refer to them as "chucks".

As far as how to do them, you need to deaden (is that a word?) the strings. To deaden a string all you need to do is touch it with your fingers. With this in mind, when you are playing a power chord, DON'T move your fingers, just lift them up slightly so that you are still touching the strings, but not on the frets.

When I play it, my fingers stay in the exact same spot over the frets I need to play. It is just a matter of applying pressure and removing pressure with the fingers on your left hand.

Practice playing a chord (F5 for example) while muting all 4 lower strings. So strum all the strings with your right hand, but the only strings ringing should be E and A. DGBandE should be muted by your pointer finger. It is applying pressure to F (first fret E string), but it's just layed across all the other strings. Not barred, just resting on the strings to deaden them. Then just release pressure from your 2 fingers playing the F5 chord.

So to summarize, just practice changing the amount of pressure you apply to the frets. This way, you don't need to worry about "getting back to the power chord fingering" because you should not be moving your fingers. They will be right where you need to them to be over the frets ready to come back down and let the chord ring.
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/26/2011 7:22 pm
That was a good explanation. I would add that it makes a difference what frets you are covering with your left hand, so experiment with moving the left hand up and down the fretboard while just playing chicka-chicka.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/26/2011 8:26 pm
Ya, certain frets can produce harmonics, so just make sure you are getting the dead sound you need.
# 4
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
10/26/2011 10:52 pm
chicka-chicka.. a good technique to pick up and practice new rhythms
# 5
James.Erickson
James.Erickson
10/30/2011 4:58 am
This would be "muting" the strings, and you simply lay your hand flat against the strings. The finger pressure should be enough to stop the noise of the strings and produce the "chicka chicka" when the pick hits the strings, but not pressed too hard as to produce a noise of the frets.

When you are performing this you should first concentrate on keeping the rhythm hand going NO MATTER WHAT during the rhythm playing. This will definitely improve your timing and it will help make sure that when you land the chords that they sound rock solid. This actually makes the muting (chicka chicka) EASIER once you get used to it.

As far as landing the power-chords from muting and back, it simply requires practice, but your fingers are not moving far, they are simply relaxing against the strings, so having them curl back up to grab the chord is not a far stretch of movement and should be easy to get down with a little practice.

Hope this Helps.
James

www.jamesericksonmusic.com
# 6
Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
10/31/2011 2:35 pm
Thank you everyone, based on these comments here and other reading I've done I think I'm going to adjust how I "generally" play power chords to make this easier on myself.

Basically, I'm going to try to play power chords by using the index finger to barre the fret, and then 3 and 4 would only have to jump strings. That way I can just release pressure on the index finger to mute the strings.

I really appreciate the comments here, much appreciated!
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/31/2011 10:24 pm
If I understand what you're saying, you are going to keep the first finger in place barring all strings even if you are playing a power chord on different strings and you will just adjust your 2nd and 3rd fingers to change the chord.

That can work sometimes, but I'd imagine you'll run into trouble with muting the top strings some times. You will actually have MORE to worry about with this method in terms of accuracy I think. Moving your index finger across strings is a skill you will NEED to have later on down the road anyways. Might as well learn to do it well now.
# 8
Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
11/01/2011 1:13 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801If I understand what you're saying, you are going to keep the first finger in place barring all strings even if you are playing a power chord on different strings and you will just adjust your 2nd and 3rd fingers to change the chord.

That can work sometimes, but I'd imagine you'll run into trouble with muting the top strings some times. You will actually have MORE to worry about with this method in terms of accuracy I think. Moving your index finger across strings is a skill you will NEED to have later on down the road anyways. Might as well learn to do it well now.

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that, good point.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.