View post (is the new game Rocksmith a good way to practice guitar what do you think)

View thread

Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
10/21/2011 2:38 pm
Hello everyone, I'm a recent Guitar Tricks member but I saw this topic and figured I'd chime in. I'm playing this on the PS3, btw. I posted the following on another board, copy pasted here:

I was eagerly anticipating this release, since I've been learning guitar for the last 6 months. To answer a few questions brought up above:

Display lag isn't really noticeable on my setup, but I did have to swap from an optical to analog for the sound due to a little bit of sound lag. Also, on the digital output the guitar didn't have a lot of volume and the analog swap changed that right away.

My setup is HDMI from PS3 to 52 inch DLP, analog into receiver and out to speakers. There's an option to correct display lag if you're having that issue, and the manual suggests swapping to component cables if you're seeing a lot of display lag. EDIT: My guitar is an Epiphone SG-400, and works great with the game.

The interface can be "flipped" placing the low string on the bottom rather than top if you want.

I can see how experienced guitarists might be annoyed by the time it takes to ramp up the difficulty, but for someone like me who has some experience but by no means is an expert this is actually really helpful. I've seen already in one day many riffs where I couldn't hit it at first and the graduated addition of a note each time you nail a riff really makes it easy to learn.

This is definitely a very dense, teacher-like game. It clearly wasn't meant to be a game so much as a learning tool, and that shows in the design big time.

The game tracks what I'm playing extremely accurately, I was really surprised at how responsive it was. Overall this game is a huge win for me, and likely for those in similar situations where they really want a motivation to pick up the guitar more often. Definitely having a lot of fun so far!