is the new game Rocksmith a good way to practice guitar what do you think

cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/19/2011 1:16 am
I just bought the new game released for ps3 and xbox 360 named rocksmith what do you think? is it a good way to practice?
# 1
sizzlingbadger
sizzlingbadger
10/19/2011 7:41 am
Some of the reviews are pretty promising
# 2
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/20/2011 5:37 am
what i find really interesting and i forgot to mention is that it uses a real guitar either an electric or electroaccustic so it is the real instrument but really i want to know what does real guitar players think about it so please comment
# 3
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/20/2011 5:39 am
the chord minigame on the game i find it to be a pretty nice way to practice chords in a fun way killing zombies when u strum the right chord
# 4
compart1
compart1
10/20/2011 1:47 pm
Try youtube and look past the sales hype.
Heres a link to Rocksmith ADS.
http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/
# 5
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/20/2011 5:56 pm
i want to know what does instructors here on guitar tricks think about this game cus i think it can be useful for practicing so any instructor wanna jump in the discussion???
# 6
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
10/20/2011 8:59 pm
I saw that in the guitar center circular last month. Anyone know the PC system requirements?

The Wii is the only game console I have :-(
# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/20/2011 11:13 pm
I haven't tried it, but I think anything that makes you put in extra time with your fingers on the frets is a good thing.

Many instructors would tell you that practicing getting notes wrong is bad for you. For instance, just about any "sweep picking" tutorial I have ever seen admonishes "don't try to play this faster than you can, building speed without accuracy won't work." So with that in mind, you would want to score high on easy setting before moving on to the next setting.

cosmicconflict, do you find that it is accurate when it keeps score of what notes you got right?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
10/21/2011 1:05 am
I looked at the videos on youtube after seeing the original post and it sold me so I went and picked it up today. The game guitar hero is what originally convienced me to take up guitar in the first place. After I got into the real thing nobody could talk me into play guitar hero anymore, I would always say if it were a real guitar then I would play it hahhaa.
Well after messing with it for a few hours I like it. It seems the better you do the harder the songs become or maybe it's just more 'complete'.
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 9
Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
10/21/2011 2:38 pm
Hello everyone, I'm a recent Guitar Tricks member but I saw this topic and figured I'd chime in. I'm playing this on the PS3, btw. I posted the following on another board, copy pasted here:

I was eagerly anticipating this release, since I've been learning guitar for the last 6 months. To answer a few questions brought up above:

Display lag isn't really noticeable on my setup, but I did have to swap from an optical to analog for the sound due to a little bit of sound lag. Also, on the digital output the guitar didn't have a lot of volume and the analog swap changed that right away.

My setup is HDMI from PS3 to 52 inch DLP, analog into receiver and out to speakers. There's an option to correct display lag if you're having that issue, and the manual suggests swapping to component cables if you're seeing a lot of display lag. EDIT: My guitar is an Epiphone SG-400, and works great with the game.

The interface can be "flipped" placing the low string on the bottom rather than top if you want.

I can see how experienced guitarists might be annoyed by the time it takes to ramp up the difficulty, but for someone like me who has some experience but by no means is an expert this is actually really helpful. I've seen already in one day many riffs where I couldn't hit it at first and the graduated addition of a note each time you nail a riff really makes it easy to learn.

This is definitely a very dense, teacher-like game. It clearly wasn't meant to be a game so much as a learning tool, and that shows in the design big time.

The game tracks what I'm playing extremely accurately, I was really surprised at how responsive it was. Overall this game is a huge win for me, and likely for those in similar situations where they really want a motivation to pick up the guitar more often. Definitely having a lot of fun so far!
# 10
Tyrantmode
Tyrantmode
10/21/2011 2:39 pm
Ok, so three days in and I have further thoughts.

1.) This game really pushes me... just when I think I have a riff under control it's like "OH LOOK ANOTHER FIVE NOTES!!!!"... GAH!
2.) It really works against my "perfectionist" tendencies, at least right now. One thing that slows down my progression is that I tend to practice the same things over and over and over again and that doesn't really help me progress. At least in the beginning parts of the game just as I get comfortable with one song it's time to move on to the next. Certainly I'll be revisiting those older songs on harder settings later in the campaign.
3.) Turns out you can actually plug in a USB mic if you want and it works... which is pretty sweet. Haven't mucked with it yet but it's a nice little feature. Gonna dig out my old rock band mic and see if it works or not, it's in storage atm.
4.) I want to go home and play more. Since that's not an option I'm totally gonna practice during lunch with my acoustic that I store here at our data center mwahahahahaha.
5.) I found out you can set everything to expert mode in the options, so you don't have to grind through the easy parts.
6.) Not sure how well an acoustic electric works yet, I'll try it tonight and see how well it works.
# 11
Ohmme
Ohmme
10/23/2011 3:13 am
I am sooo . . excited with this game too! I placed my order online (Today!, with the approval from the wifey!) along with Batman: Arkham City! May be it will arrive here in the Philippines 2-5 days. I paid a premium . . it's so hard when you are living here in the third world country!

This game by the way is still not available in the Philippines . . .
# 12
dougjt
dougjt
10/25/2011 7:08 pm
Looks fun to me might break up the boredom of routine practice, but yet still get some practice in. Hmm maybe I check it out
# 13
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/26/2011 1:29 am
as far as i know they have not say anything about requirements yet but i dont think it will need a powerfull pc for it the game graphics are good but i bet any geforce 9600 can run this game no problem
# 14
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/26/2011 1:38 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickI haven't tried it, but I think anything that makes you put in extra time with your fingers on the frets is a good thing.

Many instructors would tell you that practicing getting notes wrong is bad for you. For instance, just about any "sweep picking" tutorial I have ever seen admonishes "don't try to play this faster than you can, building speed without accuracy won't work." So with that in mind, you would want to score high on easy setting before moving on to the next setting.

cosmicconflict, do you find that it is accurate when it keeps score of what notes you got right?

Answering your questiong i think that keeping a score is wrong but the game has an option that if you cant get a certain part of the song right there is an option to slow it down so i think its a good option so you can build up your accuracy before retrying that part full speed what you think?
# 15
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
10/26/2011 2:53 am
Cosmic, are you running it on a PC? If so, what are your specs?

My video is a Radeon 9250,, stop laughing! :-)
# 16
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/26/2011 3:43 am
it hasnt been release on pc until december
# 17
cosmicconflict
cosmicconflict
10/26/2011 3:44 am
its the best i found i hope it helps u Rocksmith
System Requirements [PREDICTED] GD Hardware Rating Diff
Intel CPU - Pentium D 3.0GHz Login to compare your CPU
AMD CPU - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-55
Nvidia
GFX Card - GeForce 7800 GT Login to compare your GFX Card
ATI
GFX Card - Radeon X800 XT
RAM
(Memory) - 2 GB
Hard disk
space - 1 GB
Direct X -
# 18
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/01/2011 12:13 am
"The three reasons Rocksmith fails as a way to learn guitar"
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/the-three-reasons-rocksmith-fails-as-a-way-to-learn-guitar.ars
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 19
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
11/02/2011 9:43 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT"The three reasons Rocksmith fails as a way to learn guitar"
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/the-three-reasons-rocksmith-fails-as-a-way-to-learn-guitar.ars

3 reason that article fails.

The lag is so minute that i cant even notice it.
the dynamic dificulty is an awesome system for learning.
the unlocks are just an extra thing, you don't need them to enjoy the game. but when you do unlock something, its like a small reward.

i got rocksmith on launch day and i've been using it everyday as much as i can, and i am getting better, my score on scale runner has went up tons, solos that i could not even play on easy i've now got maxed out .

besides some minor ui issues i have no complaints.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.