tuning problem

tab222
tab222
10/10/2011 7:50 pm
on the solo of smoke on the water there is a lot of bending. especially on the G string. So when i go back to the main riff, i find my my g string is out of tune but not the other strings. is there any way i can stop that from happening.
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
10/10/2011 10:17 pm
Well it all depends on the guitar you have. Higher quality (and price) guitars will stay in tune better. The opposite is true for lower quality (price) guitars. MY suggestion would be to bring your guitar to a luthier to have it checked and tuned up. Maybe your g string tuning peg is having problem.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
10/11/2011 4:46 pm
this is a common issue that's always happened with stratocaster style guitars. it has a lot to do with the angle the string takes to the nut and down to the string retainer (the little metal thing between the tuning peg and the nut). when you bend the string you're actually changing the tension on the string retainer and if you have a vintage style retainer (just a flat stationary piece of metal) the string binds on the retainer and doesn't return to it's original position. you can fix this by buying a rolling string retainer... check out www.stew-mac.com they'll probably be like 8 bucks or something...

the other issue could be that you're using a guage of string that is heavier than your nut is slotted for. this can cause the string to bind at the nut.

let us know what kind of guitar it is and i'm sure we can pin point a better solution.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.