View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

EdsYamaha1967
Full Access
EdsYamaha1967
Full Access
06/04/2015 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCOne day a week, I teach one-on-one lessons in my home studio. All of my students at this point are 'of a certain age', and we engage in this conversation a lot. But it seems to me that as soon as they begin to experience the excitement of making music, age just drops away! They are (and I am, and you are) the same exact person at the essence as when we were children.

Children are used to not knowing how to do something, learning it step by step, having it be awkward at times and easy at other times. It's just part of their daily reality.

As adults, we've often forgotten our connection to that spirit of being a 'newbie', and soon finding ourselves in newbie territory brings up all kinds of self-consciousness and unease. And then, to try to make sense of that uncomfortable feeling, we try to name it, judge it. I am too old. This is silly.
What was I thinking?

Let yourself soak back into being surrounded by wonder, possibilities, fun, joy, progress, newness. You are the same you who learned to walk, learned to write with a pencil, learned to read, learned to drive...and now, you're learning to play the guitar! Isn't that cool??

Great perspective!!