View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/13/2015 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by: bkap1 ... I use the GT metronome. Using the auto increase BPM I increase 4 BPM every 4 measures. Once I could do 80 BPM I would do scales and modes from 80 to 100. Now I am working from 120 to 140.

I think the biggest obstacle to progress is I am also continuing to learn new songs, usually from the 50's to 70's. (Too many songs not enough time.)...

Ain't it great? A month or two back something happened to me I never thought would... After years of multi-hour, six days a week practice I hit a wall with GT lessons. Who knew? :rolleyes: So I'm taking a break from lessons, scales and other exercises with that great auto-increase GT metronome and learning/playing songs instead. Despite the new additions to my repertoire my to-do list is still growing...I love it!

I'll get back to the lessons some day soon but, in the meantime, practice is funner than ever and 'my' songs have improved.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins