View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

RockitMn
RockitMn
02/01/2015 3:02 pm
NO, NO, NO!!! You are DEFINITELY NOT too old. How good you get depends on how bad you want it and how much time you consistently have that axe in your hands.
I picked it up at age 50 after noodling with a toy guitar my g/f's kid had. I started fingerpicking old country blues ala Lightnin", Big Bill Broonzy, Mississippi John Hurt etc.. It was tough but I stayed with it. I ate, slept and dreamed guitar. Then I moved on to all the rock solos I'd always wanted to learn.
I'm 63 now and after blues, rock, and rockabilly, I've fallen hard for Jazz and Jump Blues. I'm no expert but I can play a wide selection of tunes, improvise, and I have a blast pickin' Charlie Christian melodies off records and YouTube.
No matter your age, the key question is the same. How bad do you want it? It's tough no matter what your age is. If it was easy everyone would be a guitar player. IF, IF, IF you want it bad enough....then...Oh Yeah! You CAN do it! You CAN become an accomplished guitar player!!!
NEVER NEVER NEVER quit!!! Every single day...pick up your guitar and PLAY! Keep your focus, tunnel vision and visualize it, want it so bad, bad, bad you can taste it! NOW GO & GET IT!!!
That my friend is the secret!