View post (Am I Too Old)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/07/2014 10:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Larry NicholsI started when I was 72, 10 months ago. And yea, I think I'm too old but as my wife says,"what else have you got to do?" MY fingers don't work when my brain tells them to, my right hand has a brain all to it's self (a very lazy one too). My fingers want to point inward instead of outward and my voice? Hey I quit singing in the shower 50 years ago because I couldn't stand to listen to myself.
I thought I was doing pretty good so I took my first guitar lesson a week ago. First thing he told me was I was holding the neck wrong! Wants me to get my thumb on the back of the neck instead of using the web of my thumb. Now I can't play squat. It changed everything! I was even beginning to SLOWLY make the dreded "F" chord, now I can't finger it at all with my thumb on the backside. But hey," life's hard , then you die." What else I got to do?

Willie Nelson is fast closing in on his 82nd BD. When asked if he was thinking about retirement he responded, 'All I do is play golf and make music. Which one am I gonna give up?' :D

I'm willing to admit that guitar comes slower to me now than when I was a kid because the science says that's true. But I don't really notice (I was kinda slow then too ;) ). What I do know is that it took GT a very short time to take me way beyond my previous expertise level...age not withstanding.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins