Lesson flow?

jbazley
jbazley
09/19/2011 11:37 pm
New to the site and already enjoying the Core Learning System. When I take a few lessons and come back to the site the next day, there is no clear way for me to go to the next lesson in my flow and I have to remember what the last lesson I took was. Is there a way to turn this into a "lesson flow" that will mark lessons you already took as complete and take you to the next lesson that has not been completed? If this is not a feature available, I think it would be a nice addition to the site. Thank you!
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
09/20/2011 12:59 am
Hi!
Glad you are having fun.

Have you tried the "history" button at the top middle of the page?

It records every lesson you look at.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jbazley
jbazley
09/20/2011 1:05 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickHi!
Glad you are having fun.

Have you tried the "history" button at the top middle of the page?

It records every lesson you look at.

Jon

Yes, I have seen the history button. It is very helpful, but still relies on me navigating through the lesson section to find the next one. As I said, it is more of a make better, but is a nice feature.
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
09/22/2011 8:42 pm
Ok, just to make sure I understand.

I am saying:

"Go to your history and find the last lesson, then go to that lesson and click the button that says next."

You are saying:

"That's great, but what would be better is a way to get to the next lesson without having to click history, the last lesson, and next."

If I got that right, then I have these questions:

Where would we put that? As a button on the main page? What would we do if - for instance - you had just finished a whole song lesson and there was no particular next? No button?

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your idea.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
jbazley
jbazley
09/22/2011 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickOk, just to make sure I understand.

If I got that right, then I have these questions:

Where would we put that? As a button on the main page? What would we do if - for instance - you had just finished a whole song lesson and there was no particular next? No button?

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your idea.

Ok, I think I figured out my error. I did not realize that at the end of a chapter, the flow would roll over to the next one. I thought you would have to go back to the main flow and find where you were (i.e. I'm done with 3, so I guess I go to 4?).

That being said, I think it would be a nice feature to have a "checklist" of sorts that would allow a student to see where they are and where they are going (to provide a taste of how much material is to come). I think the diagram you have at the top of the Core Learning Systems page that shows the different blocks is a good start, maybe expand on that?

Where I am coming from, I have to do a lot of training for my job, which is put into a "learning plan" that I then go check off as I go through the training. It helps to give me an idea of not only what I have completed (which your history provides), but also what I have ahead of me (which gives me an idea of the work remaining). I don't regard practicing the guitar as work, but it is always nice to see where you are going :-) We could also add a "specialty flow", such as the Acoustic Basics lessons, or Blues, or whichever style we plan to play.

As for where to put it, maybe having a "lesson plan" button on the top next to History? Either that or create a "homepage" where I can see my history and lesson plan on one page.

Really love the site, though, and looking forward to seeing all the lessons that you have (there are definitely a lot of them!).
# 5
ndrewoods
ndrewoods
10/20/2011 8:38 am
Originally Posted by: jbazley[U]New to the site and already enjoying the Core Learning System. When I take a few guitar lesson and come back to the site the next day, there is no clear way for me to go to the next lesson in my flow and I have to remember what the last lesson I took was. Is there a way to turn this into a "lesson flow" that will mark lessons you already took as complete and take you to the next lesson that has not been completed? If this is not a feature available, I think it would be a nice addition to the site. Thank you![/U]

This is one of the best thing bout this website, the lesson flow that it offers. Other guitar sites doesn't work that way and thus confuses me how to learn the right way. Just wanted to compliment you guys for a good work.
I wish they'd had electric guitars in cotton fields back in the good old days. A whole lot of things would've been straightened out. - Jimi Hendrix
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.