dissecting Blue October and musical honesty

ibanezaf12
ibanezaf12
09/06/2011 3:05 am
I've been following these guys since their beginnings as Colorado 5591. Justin Furstenfeld (lead singer/rhythm guitar/soul exposer) isn't a "trained" guitarist but comes up with that (hate to use this word but...) simple yet very emotionally expressive licks/melodies. And isn't that basically what we are all looking to do?

I hear a lot of guitarists (trust me, I'm included) that most non-players are more impressed when you play Blink or Korn than a tight BB King song,etc. I'm ramblin a bit there but I wanted to see if there are any other Blue Octobr fanatics here and what you feel about what I feel as their ability (with much lying on the shoulders of Ryan Delahoussaye the exquisitely trained violinist & composer) to turn the whole band functionally into one emotional punch to the chest.

If you aren't familiar with their work their more soulfull songs like Come in Closer (a beautifuly dark minor piece), It's Just Me, Chameleon Boy, Uglyside, Hate Me, Black Orchid (really anything off The Answers, Consent to Treatment, and History for Sale.)

Keep in mind Justin is very open about his challenges (of which I share each) with bipolar, aspergers, adhd, and schizophrenia, when you listen to his lyrics who some dismiss as whiney but are more truthful expression of struggle and confusion. The pain from the life of these pours out in his music.

I've lost my point by the end of this post but I hope for any opinions or discussion on their writing style. Perplexed on why they are so under-rated (I suppose more aptly under-popular.) I suppose anything you want to sell in mass is inherently watered down (see Ikea and Nickleback, the Ikea of music.)

-- Maybe they can be an inspiration to work to keep that bit of honesty, that bit of your soul, in your own work and the balance of appeal and, do I dare say, good music?

PS if you want to see what a live performance can be check out videos from Argue with a Tree dvd or pick it up. Ya might be able to tell they hit close to home for me and I 've actually had the chance to hang with Justin and discussed this topic.
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/08/2011 6:20 pm
ibanezaf12

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.