A Major Pain for a beginner

pesetas
pesetas
08/30/2011 12:28 am
I simply cannot get my fingers squeezed onto that second fret for the A Major chord. I'm making myself a little crazy with this I think. How important is this chord? I never really considered myself to have fat fingers in fact I kind of perceived them as being rather lanky. Is there some other way I need to approach this chord to make it work for me?
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
08/30/2011 2:57 am
Well every major chords are most know chords, whatever the type of music you prefer playing.
One way to get around putting all 3 fingers in the 2nd fret is to use only two. You press two strings with one finger and ther 2nd finger presses on the remaining string (depending on how you feel is more comfortable). I think playing it with the index and major is better since it enables your ring finger to be free and add it on another fret (when you want to make it a A7 for exemple).
You can also try barring all 3 strings with one finger but it will be harder to have a clean sound, but it is possible.
# 2
pesetas
pesetas
08/31/2011 1:11 am
I sure appreciate the response. I tried different ways of playing the chord tonight but I still just can't seem to get it. When I am able to get all my fingers jammed on that second fret the strings all sound dead or distorted when I strum. I'll not give up just yet and I'll resist the urge to chuck my guitar in the pond but dang this is frustrating.
# 3
rockFingers
rockFingers
08/31/2011 1:26 am
You could try using different fingers for the chord - I use my middle, ring, and pinky instead of the index, middle, and ring. Maybe you've tried this already, but give it a shot and i hope this helps :)
# 4
pesetas
pesetas
08/31/2011 2:06 am
Originally Posted by: rockFingersYou could try using different fingers for the chord - I use my middle, ring, and pinky instead of the index, middle, and ring. Maybe you've tried this already, but give it a shot and i hope this helps :)

Thanks. I'll give that a go tomorrow night after I've calmed down a bit... :o
# 5
SunKing1
SunKing1
08/31/2011 3:21 am
Keep in mind to give your left hand the correct position. One usual mistake is to hold the thumb too high: try to place it right behind the neck, what provides you with the pressure needed for playing and also it will give the other fingers more freedom to reach the frets freely. Hope this helps!
# 6
gredway
gredway
08/31/2011 6:40 pm
Try just using your index finger and cover all three strings with it. You'll need to push down reasonably hard so that you can bend at the joint and clear the upper E string but it's certainly do-able and, from my limited experience, just as accepted or more common than using three fingers. I've got skinny fingers so started using the three finger/string approach but lately have found one finger is quicker to form and chord so tend to use that.
# 7
pesetas
pesetas
09/01/2011 12:36 am
Originally Posted by: gredwayTry just using your index finger and cover all three strings with it. You'll need to push down reasonably hard so that you can bend at the joint and clear the upper E string but it's certainly do-able and, from my limited experience, just as accepted or more common than using three fingers. I've got skinny fingers so started using the three finger/string approach but lately have found one finger is quicker to form and chord so tend to use that.

And we have a winner! Thanks for the advice. After nearly chucking my Ovation in the pond I tried the index finger approach to this chord and voila! I sure appreciate all of the replies from everyone. Next time I have an issue I'll be sure and post it here!
# 8
achim203
achim203
09/06/2011 12:11 pm
I play it totally different: i put my index on the G-string, middle finger on the D and ring finger on the B-string. For me it is much easier that way, the index on the G-string is a lot closer to the fret than when putting it on the D, so less pressure is needed. Furthermore it is a lot easier switching to E-major and D-major chords, because the index finger can just stay on the G-string and only has to change frets.
Will i get any problems in later playing stages by using that technique?
# 9
Myron J
Myron J
09/10/2011 4:59 pm
I too have large fingers and find that chord tough to play, but now just bar it with my middle finger. Tried with my index but found progressions easier with using my middle finger. Whatever works best for you and keeps you playing is the right choice. Have fun and don't get discouraged. :)
# 10
Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
09/22/2011 5:45 am
Start by placing your ring finger on the 2nd fret of the 2nd string...
x
x
x

Individually pick the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string one at a time, to make sure they ring out clearly!!!

When they do, add the next finger (middle) to the 2nd fret of the 3rd string...

x
x

Again, repeat the process of picking each string individually. Make REAL-TIME adjustments to your hand, thumb, and finger position until you can play all the notes totally clear.

Repeat this whole process with your index finger on the 2nd fret of the 4th string.

x

Once you've done that, you got an A chord! :D
Matteo Miller-Nicolato
Free Progressive Metal-Jazz-Punk Fusion Music
www.matteomillernicolato.com/Music.html

San Diego School of Guitar
Free Guitar Playing Instructional Resources
www.guitarlessonsinsandiego.com/Resources.html
# 11
che25
che25
09/23/2011 1:45 pm
+1 Greway. I find it easier to barre that chord with my index finger, it's the path of least resistance. Also, it allows your other 3 fingers to do other things. If you are trying to get through a song and can't quite make the voicing yet, just hit the open A string--at least you'll hit the root of the chord, and leave a nice bass note. Hitting the tone in time is the most important accomplishment. Invest and sleep with a metronome.
# 12
Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
09/23/2011 2:05 pm
Originally Posted by: che25Invest and sleep with a metronome.

+1,000,000
Matteo Miller-Nicolato

# 13
a98gsxr
a98gsxr
10/02/2011 2:06 pm
Sleep with a metronome? Seriously?
# 14
Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
10/02/2011 8:05 pm
Well actually, I like to have the metronome ticking while I'm just sitting here doing work. :) It's very soothing to hear... and it will sharpen your rhythm guitar playing. It's a wondrous tool, that a lot of guitar players fear for some reason... haha
Matteo Miller-Nicolato

# 15
jeffreygcowell
jeffreygcowell
08/11/2012 5:23 am
Rank beginner and was really frustrated trying to do the A-Major chord the "right" way. Now using middle finger on the D-G and ring finger on the B string. Pressing the two fingers together flares the pads a bit to make the span work better and speed up the positioning. Thanks for the posts that gave me the idea.
# 16
paulgregory
paulgregory
08/19/2012 8:13 pm
For the A I was taught this trick and it works very nicely and you can transition to other chords very easily. Put your first finger on the G string, your middle finger on the D string and your ring finger on the B string.They all fit much better that way and to me it is easier to play that chord like this. I was taught this years ago by a guitar teacher I had back then. He used to play with Dusty Drake and the Drifters.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.