How Long

run91
run91
08/28/2011 11:48 pm
I would like to know how long and how much should I practice the guitar? I have never played before. I will be getting some lessons but I would love to hear from all of you about your opinion. I know this a open question, but how can I obtain the optimal results. Thanks for any feedback.
# 1
Bruce J
Bruce J
08/29/2011 1:26 am
I would say as long as you want to and as long as you can. If you play ten minutes and your fingers are hurting or your hand is cramping, then it's too long.

Since you're first getting started, your finger tips will get sore pretty quickly. It will take a few weeks for them to toughen up so that you don't notice it much. If you're like me, your left hand will also not be very flexible or strong, and it will tire quickly. Both of these things will probably cut your effective practice time while you're getting started. I've been playing for just over two years now and can practice a couple hours without really being limited by hand strength or finger tenderness.

I think most people will also say that more frequent practices of shorter length are more effective than occasional very long ones, all else being equal.
# 2
run91
run91
08/30/2011 9:45 pm
Thanks Bruce that helped alot. I will try and practice everyday but only as long as my fingers hold out.
# 3
SunKing1
SunKing1
09/01/2011 11:16 pm
Hi, just keep in mind to sit in a comfortable position for your arms as well as for your back. That will prevent you from getting any unnecessary harm to your body. Stretching out your muscles before and after practicing also helps.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.