View post (a mexican stratocaster??)

View thread

G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
12/29/2011 1:06 am
Hi Ya'll,
Just in case you didn't know, be careful when buying guitars from the big box on-line stores. I don't know if it carries over to their physical stores but, check out the set up on your potential purchase. I tried the on line buying experience once. I also asked two other stores on their policy concerning set ups. I wanted the Epiphone Wild Kat. Saw a good deal on line at a big box store and when it arrived the set up was so bad I could hardly play it. I called the sellers and they told me that when I order a guitar it comes to me from their suppliers. Thay do not remove them from the box. The guitar also had a crack in the finish along the heel of the neck. I usually buy from local mom and pop stores and all of them go thru the same process.
They open them, give them a thorough inspection and set the guitar up before it goes on display. Thay also offer to set the guitar up, while you wait to your particular style. Once you start giving the small shops a chance and become a regular customer you will usually be able to get good prices for equipment (and guitars). All the people I buy from will look out for old tube amps for me and call me to see if I am interested. I don't care if they work or not, I'll fix em....
It may cost a little more at first but, in the long run your not only helping them out but, also yourself. My last purchase was a Fender Custom shop Strat the owner was using to give guitar lessons. It's a one of a kind. Cost me $1500 dollars. Similar guitars from the on line stores were around $3500 to $4000. The guitar is cherry and comes with a tweed case.
Just an FYI.
Rock It or Loose It,
Regards ,
Steven