View post (String cleaning)

View thread

sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/13/2011 9:40 am
Hey all,
I rotate my guitars, and put new strings on the ones I use most often. I use 4 of 8 guitars mostly, so I end up changing a set of strings on one of them twice a month.

If you just have one guitar, I would change them every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on how much you play, or practice. If you play several hours each day, I would change your strings every two weeks. I wipe mine down with the material from an old t-shirt that I cut into rags. These work great, and I just cut them in 6x12 inch pieces. After you finish practicing, or playing you just wipe them down. This will save your strings, and they won't go dead as quickly. I've tried other material, but they mostly left pieces, and threads hanging on the strings.

I used to use finger ease, and another one called fast fret when I was on the road. I don't remember these products being very eco-friendly though, so as a favor to my daughter, Daddy only uses the rags now. I wipe my strings down after I play, and if I'm playing a gig after every set.

It's just a suggestion.