View post (Speed Vs Feeling)

View thread

03/07/2002 11:50 pm
Originally posted by ^Chacron^
try Yngwie Malmsteen who in my opinion only plays fast to show off and not to communicate anything

Why do you say that? Just because he doesn't do bends? I don't necessarily say this to defend Yngwie (even though I sort of like his stuff) but to make a point that you seem to be another example of someone who judges the abstract, intangible concept of "feeling" based on, 1) a mindset geared around rock music, and 2) how closely a solo represents a cliched, bluesy bend type thing. I don't have anything against bends, but some people seem to judge "feeling" using people like B.B. King as a benchmark and ignore the fact that long before guitar came into fruition, beautifully emotional music was being created that often involved a lot of speed (some of the most emotional classical and flamenco music is blaringly fast).

Also, I put quotes around the word feeling because we're trying to describe the emotion attached to a sound, and that's something that's totally personal. I don't know about you but I think Yngwie is very good at creating anger and suspense in his angst-driven neo-classical genre. Aren't those feelings? Now given, I don't know if I've ever heard him play anything happy or upbeat... which might say something about the range of emotion is able to convey.

btw, there is already a BIG thread about this going... why don't you check over that one?