Searching for that elusive sound

Andrew Kovatch
Andrew Kovatch
07/28/2011 5:36 pm
Hi I'm having lots of fun learning the Steely Dan song "Reelin in the Years" Instructor Tom Finch.

My problem is I can't reel in the right sound esp. that opening phrase; The one measure pickup with the lead guitar.

I'm set up in the living room. I'm thinking I might need more effects.

I'm using a Peavey Vyper 60w Tube amp.
My preset is: Stompbox-Tube Scrm. Amp-Plxi. Effects-Chorus. Pregain-Full. Low-Almost full. Mid-12/1 o"clock. High-12/1 o'clock. Post gain-Off.

Guitars: Ibanez, Peavy Raptor Plus Exp. Using nexk pickups

Also if you know where to find a "standard language" to describe sounds I would appreciate it. Sorry I can't yet describe the sound I'm missing. I'd appreciate your input. Thank you.
# 1
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
07/28/2011 9:44 pm
Excerpt: From Tom Finch tutorial for Reelin in the Years
Today I'm playing a Telecaster guitar through a Fender Princeton Amp. The rhythm guitar is played with that classic clean tube sound that breaks up a little when you hit it hard. The Princeton does it just right! The solos are pretty gainy so I am using a Fulltone Distortion pro and a Budda Phatman. These two pedals complement each other nicely. The tone for the melodic hook is somewhere between that of the rhythm and lead guitar so I'll use just the Budda pedal for that...
That's all I can get for you.. My subsription just ran out..
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.