View post (blisters on fingers)

View thread

JJ90
JJ90
07/21/2011 9:01 pm
Hey Steve,

I've got the same problem currently as you have, even though I'm an intermediate/early advanced guitar player. It's summer so I have a bit more time on my hands so I went crazy practicing guitar today. I've just stopped at the right moment.

It's perfectly normal for your fingers to get sore, but when they start to hurt just take a break from it. It's better to keep your practice routines shorter over a long period of time. For example it would be better to practice 1 hour a day for 5 days, rather than practicing 5 hours in 1 day and then 4 days no practice.

When you are just beginning to play guitar your finger skin needs to thoughen up a little bit. When you still keep practicing you get blisters so that's not good. Keep away from your guitar for a little while until everything is fine again. Your guitar must not be a torture device. NEVER EVER PLAY THROUGH PAIN!

Once everything is okay you can gradually increase your practice routines since your fingertips start to thoughen up and you will be able to play longer. So first thing to do, just take a break from your guitar!

Hope that helps you out!

JJ