View post (Unknown Archtop acoustic. Need help Identifying)

View thread

shaniab
shaniab
07/09/2011 3:23 am
Hey there guys. I am needing help in figuring out what brand acoustic guitar I have. There is barely ANYTHING to go by on what it is. no name brand on the headstock. No serial number. Nothing. All there is is a stamp that looks like this on the inside of it. (F,39) The stamp is a red rubber stamp. I took it to a guitar shop and the lead guitar inspector couldn't even figure it out.

Me and a friend have dated it almost clear back to 1920's to 1930's. We think it may be one of the Kay brand guitars (Silvertone, Gretch, Ect.). The tuning peg plates on the back are of just a plain rectangle shape. none of the fancy gibson style plates. The tuners are made of ivory and the bridge is a "trapeze" style brass bridge. The saddel is ebony wood with tiny disks under it to adjust it.

Details: 19 frets
No inlays, only white paint markings
40 3/4 inches overall length
15 1/2 inches wide on widest part of the body
3 3/8ths inches thick
The bottom is biger than the top almost like a jazz style archtop acoustic.

Also it is an F-hole type acoustic. Not the normal round hole acoustic.

I wish I had more information but what I have said is all I have.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

(Update)
------------------------------------------------------------

HAHA!! I just now found the serial number code inside the guitar. It has a weird symbol that looks like this _\./_ except it is all attached. The serial
number is 4237_\./_264. I hope this helps in identifing it.

(Update)
------------------------------------------------------------

Major Update!!! Figured out that serial number "symbol" isn't a symbol. It's two letters. The serial number is now 4237 SR 264
Might be a Sears and Roebuck Catalog guitar.