trying for Kenny Shepard "Black on Blue" tone

michaeleriley
Full Access
michaeleriley
Full Access
05/28/2011 9:42 pm
I'm trying to get the lead guitar sound from Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepard. I can choose from LP-Studio 2006, Carvin Strat, ESP with Rose trem or a low-end Fender strat. As for amp...If I can get it close on a Line 6 Spider 4, I can make the transition to a Fender Blues & asst effects. I also have an older Lne 6 rack mount POD.

I'm not sure where to even start to get the sound.

HELP!!
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/29/2011 12:08 am
I'd guess the guess the best bet would be:

> Carvin Strat (if it has 3 single coil PUPs...other wise the low end Strat)
> Fender Blues & asst effects

With a three single pick up set up, set the selecter between the bridge and middle pick up and the fender amp would need a little more mid.

What effects? Do you have something like a tube screamer?
# 2
michaeleriley
Full Access
michaeleriley
Full Access
05/29/2011 1:54 am
many thanks. i've taken your idea - use all 3 A11 pickups on the Carvin, set my blues jr. bass, treble to 1/2, mids to 3/4, gain about 1/2...added an old ibanez 808 tube screamer and a boss dynamic wah. its starting to get there, but I cant seem to get the clean sort of 'crying' sound. the wah articulates a little too much but seems to help some & when I try some fingerwork to try and get the strings to do some of the work, the bends sound really bad. The fingerwork seems really straight--no bends whatsoever and no mutes or clips (at least to my really amateur ear).

Any idea where to go from here? I suppose I could post process it and find something pretty close but I'd like to play this live & get that same sort of 'weepy' tone
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.