View post (The Question for Almost Everyone)

View thread

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
05/09/2011 11:29 pm
Vague question here but I want to learn to PLAY the guitar and I am wondering how people might approach it given my situation. I started about 7 months ago and at first I just wanted to play songs I like. Went through GF1 and GF2...enjoyed it and learned a 5-6 songs on You Tube - 7 months ago I would have been satisfied knowing what I already know and have learned Feel like I could play hundreds of songs using open chords and maybe some barre chords. Definitely fun, but also feel like I am just memorizing songs...cool to hear me play this stuff, but feel like I want more. Went though Blues I and am into Blues II....like it alot, but also feel like I am developing a lot of little cool "tricks" but can't/don't actually play anything. Also feel like I am learning vs memorizing but don't and can't play any songs with what I've been learning recently...just starting the Blues solo stuff but I am playing it over a 2 minute jam track so all I think I have is a cool little trick when done with a lesson.

Right now I am just continuing through Blues II and then with this approach will move to the Rock section. Still interesting and fun but don't feel like I will really be playing anything, unless I go back to You Tube or learn songs here, which again seems more like memorization than PLAYING, to me.

Based on what I've read here my guess is alot of people will tell me to set goals (which I haven't done)...in a dream world would play in a band, but Im a novice, 43, married with kids so I need to be able to play from home, when I want (every day, some days 15 minutes, others 2 hours. I love alot of the old Blues stuff, like the Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, extended jams. How do I learn and ultimately play from home, without a band.

Maybe this is like asking how to play like Tiger Woods with only using a video game but interested in peoples comments that have been playing longer than me. Again, this is probably too vague for most people to respond to but I hope it resonates with a few. Regardless, very interested in your comments and thoughts.

Bona