Looking for a Jazz tone

chirons
chirons
05/09/2011 7:24 pm
Hey, I am looking for Jazzy tone from my Fender: Frontman 15G amp is this possible. Then what are the settings
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/10/2011 8:27 am
Anything is possible :).

What sound are you looking for more specifically, any specific song you can point out that has the sound you're after?

I'm not a jazz player myself, but generally, these things can help you get more of a jazzy sound:

• Guitar - many jazz players use archtop guitars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archtop_guitar)
• Guitar tone - try to roll down the volume slightly (to 7-8) as well as the tone control (maybe 6-7). This takes out some of the treble and gives a smoother jazzy sound.
• Strings - many jazz players use thick strings, packs of .011's and up. There are even flat-wound strings, that sound "dull" even when new, which is something jazz players like.
• The amp - start with everything set on 5, and then roll off the treble until you like what you hear. It's hard to give you exact amp settings, as they will be affected by the sound of your guitar/strings.
# 2
chirons
chirons
05/11/2011 4:04 pm
Well the name of the song is dream on by aerosmith for the rhythm part i was needing that jazz sound. I usually have my gear set for like a county blues sound then sometimes add distortion if i want that big wall of sound. I normally don't play in a jazz context. I stick to my 5 Blues, Country, Rock, Pop Rock, and sometimes Metal. Thanks for the info. :)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.