metdet
metdet
05/28/2011 4:42 pm
Sounds like fun
# 1
Bruce J
Bruce J
05/29/2011 11:05 pm
3Donkey, I don't think I did anything unusual. I've taken a number of lessons here, but didn't follow the courses in a very disciplined manner. I probably did more of that early on. I focused mainly on the blues and I think that helped because learning the 12 bar blues format and being able to play the I-IV-V chord pattern is pretty easy, fun to play, and can be applied to so many songs.

I practice probably about an hour a day, sometimes 2-3. There's no substitute for that, I'm sure. Certainly the best thing that happened to me was playing a couple songs on stage with a friends band when I had been playing for about 18 months. I only played a few songs, but it hooked me deeply. I then talked him into starting a new band with me and a few other guys. He has years of band experience and also play most lead guitar parts and is our primary vocalist. No way we could have pulled this off without his experience and leadership. So find a talented friend or three!

Finally, we keep our songs pretty simple, living by the principle of "Three Chords and the Truth". We've got a long way to go to be a professional band, and have no aspirations to do that. We just love to play.

Good luck and have fun!

Bruce
# 2
adir olf
adir olf
06/04/2011 4:15 am
Cool! I just started learning at 42 and my goal is to get in a band and play within 6 years...when the kids moveout...so you saying you're doing it at 55 gives me hope that I'm not to old to be chasing a silly dream.
My problem is my progress is so slow, I hope I can meet that goal :). I just cant switch between chords well or at a decent speed. particularly the c chord. I don't know if its me, or my old guitar that is rather big and has some structural issues... anyways.... I'm jealous!
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
06/04/2011 5:15 am
Hey Adir Olf,
No need to be jealous, you'll get there too. It just takes time and practice, soon you'll be doing it without thinking. You have to teach your fingers the positions too, and this can take a little time.

Here is a little shortcut for the C chord, and after you get used to this it should be easier to switch chords. Try making a G using the middle finger in the 2nd fret on the 5th string, the ring finger in the 3rd fret on the 6th, and your pinky in the 3rd fret on the 1st string. When you go to the C chord, you just drop the middle and ring fingers to the 4th and 5th string. since your index finger is free, put it in the 1st fret on the 2nd string. After getting used to this, you should be able to switch from the other G chord position too.

This will help your fingers remember the position, and also make it quicker to get to. I hope this helps, and just keep at it, you'll get there.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.