Open G tuning issue

Bruce J
Bruce J
05/03/2011 4:29 am
I can't seem to change from standard tuning to Open G using my Boss TU-3 tuning pedal. It works just great with normal tuning, but when I try to change to D, G, D, etc it just seems to give me false readings, particularly on the low D. I have the tuner set in the normal chromatic mode. Any ideas why I'm having trouble with this? By the way, I have the same problem with a Boss TU-2, so I doubt it's anything actually wrong with the pedal(s), but the way I'm doing it.

Thanks,
Bruce
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/03/2011 5:26 am
Might help if you explain what exactly is happening. What do you mean by false readings, what is it showing, ect.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/03/2011 9:48 am
I have a Korg Pitchblack and sometimes I get "ghost readings". I'm not sure if this is what you mean... It's worst if the pick ups are too near or far from the strings. It will sort of register off key until the vibrations settle, then hold steady on the note.

Some things that help are setting up your pick ups, try switching pick ups, and finding the sweet spot oin the string. I think it creates a better harmonic. Depending what pick up, and where I pick the treble E string, for example, I can get almost no readable signal to the tuner. Move my pick 2 inches and get a perfect reading.

Sasme thing can happen with every tuner I have tried.

Maybe that'll help. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
Bruce J
Bruce J
05/03/2011 11:59 am
I should have explained that better. The tuner seems to think it's doing it's job properly - I tune the string down and it shows it to be "correctly" on the low D, etc. But then when I'm finished with the other strings and try to play an open G chord, it's clearly not right. I haven't mapped out exactly which strings are off and by how much (and of course a few don't change from standard tuning). It may just be that the low and high D's are off, but it tunes the other strings/notes correctly, like it always does in full standard tuning.

I'll try using a different pickup selection and/or where I pluck the string. Just seems odd that it only does this when I try to change to Open G.
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/06/2011 10:43 pm
Forgot about this thread. Not sure if you solved it already. Interested in hearing how it went or is going.

Just to be clear, open G tuning is: D G D G B D. Left to right, heavy to light strings. Normal tuning is E A D G B E.

So you tuned each string individually, then went back and made sure they were all in correct pitch according to the tuner, but when you play them all at once they don't sound right? That wouldn't make too much sense. If each string is in tune according to the tuner and you have them tuned to the notes above, there is no way it wouldn't be correct. Again to clarify: Each string played individually is in tune, but all at once doesn't sound right?

I can only assume you aren't tuning the notes to the correct pitch since you mentioned it did the same thing on 2 different tuners. Also note that you are tuning DOWN on the changed pitches. E down to D, A down to G.

Check your intonation too. I don't think that would have anything to do with it since you are checking the strings open, but might as well make sure your guitar is good anyways. 12th harmonic vs 12th fret tone.
# 5
Bruce J
Bruce J
05/09/2011 3:08 am
Thanks, Hunter. Yes, I have the right Open G notes and tuned down as appropriate, i.e. low E tuned down to D, etc. The tuner would say that it was now a D, same with the other notes that I had to change. Then when I'd strum all the open chords, it sounded bad. I'd then get on this site using the tuning section to retune the strings by ear, and I'd get it right this way.

To try to solve the mystery, next time I'll take some more specific notes about which strings ended up out of tune and by how much.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.