View post (Too much scales)

View thread

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/03/2002 1:40 pm
I've learnt all the damn scales there is to know, and I've finally understood after all those years that what get across in 90 percent of the case in a gig, is the minor pentatonic.
Don't get me wrong, depending on the style you play, you might use other scales, but get over it, most rock, blues, pop, can be played only knowing the first box of the pentatonic...
I'm not saying "don't learn them" but I think that improving you phrasing and tone is way more important than the oddity or rarity of the scale you use.

I was (a loooong time ago)jamming with the Dire Straits tune "brothers in arms". Now my mom was never a big fan of electric guitar, (she thinks that the last real guitar player was Django REINDHART...) but she actually likes Mark KNOPFLER's mellower tunes. She came in my room, and I told her "can you hear those notes he's using" and she answered "he's got the same ones as you do!!" well, it kind of made me think for some time, and I understood it's not really WHAT you play, but HOW you play it...