30 Seconds to Mars

Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/26/2011 10:51 pm

Photo by: JASON ANFINSEN

News sites buzzed when 30 Seconds to Mars frontman Jared Leto posted a video of himself imitating Kurt Cobain on the 17th anniversary of his death. Leto dressed up as Cobain and preformed parts of Nirvana’s famous “Pennyroyal Tea” and “Rape Me.” Leto posted the video as a tribute stating,

“I heard today was the day Kurt passed away 17 years ago. Can’t believe it’s been that long. So grateful for his contribution and inspiration. Not sure I’d be doing this if it weren’t for him. He gave us all permission to create no matter what our skill set and reminded me that dreams are possible. Thanks for that. This made me recall a short piece of film I shot when I heard they were making a film celebrating his life. I made it to explore the character and explore creative possibilities. I never sent it to the studio or to anyone but thought I’d share it now…”

Fans of Nirvana had mixed reactions. Some felt the tribute Leto claims to have previously recorded was touching. Others felt that the 30 Seconds to Mars singer used the anniversary of Cobain’s death to gain publicity.

This isn’t the first time 30 Seconds to Mars have made waves. The band has publicly battled a major lawsuit and censorship of a music video. They push boundaries and take the fans along for the ride. The trio even pushes international boundaries. 30 Seconds to Mars boast the first American music video ever shot in the People’s Republic of China for the hit “From Yesterday.”

While the imitation of Cobain may seem strange to some, it may not be such an unusual tribute coming from Jared Leto, the actor, who has played character roles like that of Mark David Chapman, John Lennon’s assassin, in “Chapter 27” (2007) in which he reportedly gained 67 pounds to play the killer.

Leto, the actor, got his start in MTV’s 1994’s teen drama, “My So-Called Life” playing Jordan Catalano, a rebellious, tormented teen. Over a decade later, he probably still speaks to the same misunderstood, “on the edge” crowd as singer, guitarist and songwriter for 30 Seconds to Mars.

Jared Leto and his brother, drummer Shannon Leto, formed the band in 1998 (which now includes guitarist Tomo Milicevic.) They signed to Virgin Records and put out their first record in 2002. The self-titled debut received mild fanfare. It wasn’t until the band’s sophomore album that it experienced massive success. A Beautiful Lie (2005) went platinum and spawned several radio singles.

Even with 30 Seconds to Mars mainstream success, it has branded itself with an edge. Leto’s strong vocals are more rock and less pop. The songs are loud and anthem-like without being cheesy.

The band’s latest album This is War (2009) is titled in part by inspiration from a $30 million lawsuit with their record label and in part as a commentary on the global crises and economic turmoil in the world, according to the band.

The politically conscious band is not short on statements. The band has seized every opportunity to make them with their videos. “Kings and Queens” makes an eco-conscious statement featuring a large group of bicycle riders. “This Is War” opens with the H.G. Wells quote, “If we don’t end war, war will end us.” The video for “Closer To The Edge” features live footage along with young people expressing angst at the world. The band’s use of fan participation has had a hand in its success.

30 Seconds to Mars included their fans in the recording of This is War and also used fan photographs for the cover art of the album. The mix of marketing and talent has proven a successful recipe for the band. Over 100,000 fans’ voices were taped at various venues as well as were submitted to the band through TwitVid. The album features fans from the U.S., Australia, Italy, Germany, France, Japan, Mexico, the U.K., Canada and Iran. The album also features 2,000 covers of photos of 2,000 different fans.

While the band has used publicity and fan participation to propel its success, there is no denying that this band has talent. This is War was received with praise from not only fans but from critics as well.

“On the unashamedly epic This Is War, Leto doesn’t just shoot for the moon, he practically colonizes it,” Entertainment Weekly writes. Another strong review from Billboard states, “When 30 Seconds to Mars frontman Jared Leto wants to go epic, he doesn’t go halfway.” Alternative Press calls the album “an artistic triumph for Thirty Seconds To Mars.”

The album solidified the band’s reputation producing several radio singles. The band won Best Rock Video at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards.

30 Seconds to Mars continues on the “Closer to the Edge” tour with several dates already sold out through August. It doesn’t look like this band is slowing down anytime soon. Even with drummer Shannon Leto sick and unable to play their sold out April 12 concert; the band played not wanting to disappoint fans. The band posted on their Web site, “Canceling tonight was discussed but it has been decided that the show will go on.”
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.