View post (Loads of questions: Mode visualisation/switching)

View thread

RiskyNZ
RiskyNZ
04/22/2011 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelThe next step is to look for places to include extended chord tones. For example, instead of Dmin7 - G7, try Dmin7b5 - G7b9! Use D locrian & G harmonic or melodic minor because you would be implying the key of C minor![/QUOTE]I tried this and got it working, but it was confusing theoretically in the context of the progression. Is it best to resolve to CMaj7 or Cm7?

[QUOTE=CSchlegel]My Joe Pass Lead Lines tutorial is now up!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1205

Hope that gives you more info to work with on learning to solo in jazz style. Have fun!

This is exactly what I needed mindset-wise. Particularly the arpeggios - now I'm going to set about learning arpeggio patterns, which I didn't really know beyond what I learned sweeping, which were basically convenient shapes.

I'm using a metronome and saying 1 3 5 7 1 etc so that I know which part of the chord I'm playing, that way I can alter them when alterred chords come up. Already coming up with some interesting new things, and it is much easier to keep up with the chord progression if I can link things together with arpeggios. Still a long way to go though, especially looking at most jazz tunes where the changes come so quickly!