Beatles Revolution Fuzz sound??

BurnerZ06
BurnerZ06
03/31/2011 1:01 am
I am trying like crazy to replicate the sound of the lead guitar in The Beatles Revolution. Sounds like some fuzz to me, but I can't seem to quite get it on with my setup, but I can get kinda close. I'm using a Peavey Predator with two humbuckers and a Peavey Vypyr Modeling Amp. Any suggestions on my setup?

Furthermore, what exactly was GH playing when this was recorded? Amp guitar effects etc...?

Thanks peoples!!!!
# 1
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
03/31/2011 2:50 am
I had to do some research to find out how the Beatles got the sound and then to see how others have over come the problem... this is what I dug up for ya...

The dirty guitar sound was created by plugging the guitars directly into the audio board. The guitar sounded so scratchy that many who bought the 45 RPM single tried to return it, thinking it was defective. (thanks to Dwight Rounds, author of The Year The Music Died, 1964-1972)

Some more heavy reading on the subject can be found here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(song)

And finally I ran a few chords thru the computer and yup... it was Fuzz... I set the level on a few chords and found that the riff played there was about half way on dial.

Went thru a lot of reading on it and even watched some videos there on the net.. Found a bunch of interesting things about the song too.. Never knew that it had so many stories on the recording just because John and Paul disagreed about even making the song.
# 2
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2011 8:04 am
How about plugging your guitar into a kazoo :D :D

I love stories like this about how certain recordings and special sounds were made, it's never what you expect!

It does sound pretty similar to a fuzz pedal though. I have a Hendrix Fuzz Face that sounds somewhat close to this... I never really liked the sound too much though...

Let us know how (if) you get the sound you're after!
# 3
BurnerZ06
BurnerZ06
03/31/2011 5:19 pm
Thanks for the help with this one guys. unfortunately I don not have a board to plug in to but my brother has a presonus fire pod that maybe i can try the digital effects and see what happens.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.