I am trying to get a nice soft bluesy chord tone with a sleight overdrive effect. The problem I am running into is that when playing full chords my sound is either too tinny, too bassy, or too overpwering... I just cannot find that happy medium sound. My hammer on are all muddled as well.\\
Thanks in advance\M~[/QUOTE]
First get the clean tone right. You need presence, a good amount of treb, low on the mids, and boost up the bass.
- Tube amps were made for blues/rock. There is no comparison!
- Try to get a glassy sound with the neck or the in between pickups.
- Slightly overdrive the channel either with the gain or the pedal, but don´t go overboard since blues is not about having truckloads of distortion.
- En equalizer as a cool pedal to have ´cause it can help you to boost some of the frequencies that are lacking or weak in your general sound.
- Play with the tone knob if your going for the rythm or lead part, depending on what sound you want.
- Get a high gain sound and then roll back the volume knob so you can use it for the clean or rythm parts and then roll back up to get your lead sound. This is good when you get that tone and you don´t want to mess with it.
Hope this helps with the never ending quest for tone!