Krank Amps

dougjt
dougjt
03/14/2011 12:24 am
Does anyone use a Krank Rev Jr Pro 50 Watt? I had some free time on Fri. and I demoed a bunch of amps With my guitar. I have been looking at the mesa stuff but I think the Krank maybe better for me. I played the Rev standard 100 Watt first but I don't think I need it plus the neighbors wont appreciate it. I demoed the Jr. and was blown away by the sound this little guy can produce. I wonder if it's enough to play in a Live situation and reliability issues.

Any feedback will be Appreciated

Doug
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/14/2011 2:40 am
Hey Doug,
In one of my bands, I compared a 30 and a 50-watt amplifier. With a usable tone, the 30 was just scarcely audible over the drumset in a very large enclosed garage. The 50 watt had to be rolled back a little bit to get a good mix.

In larger live environments, you may want to 'mic the amp' and run it through the venue's PA system.

Hope this helps.

GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
dougjt
dougjt
03/14/2011 2:54 am
Yes it does, the one I demoed was 20 watt but they make a 50 for 100 more bucks. I am going to need something for practicing with a live drummer and open mic's soon I think it might work.
# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/14/2011 7:44 am
Yes, especially if you're playing an aggressive style of music like Metal, you'll surely do well with more than 20 watts. 50 watts might be on the edge depending on the environment you'll be playing in, and depending on the volume of the rest of the band. Another thing to consider is that different amplifier models can have different loudness at the same wattage level.

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
JonChorba
JonChorba
03/14/2011 3:40 pm
Just to chime in with my 2 cents...

I've demoed a bunch of different Krank amps and always walked away very happy! I heard their customer service can be dodgy, however, and it may be hard to get replacement parts should anything go wrong. A few guitar shops around here stopped carrying them for that very reason.

That said, go with a 50 watt and getchya pull!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 5
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
03/14/2011 7:54 pm
I thought about getting a Krank amp at one point because I really liked how it sounded. I would personally get the 50 watt amp if you plan on playing in live situations. If you do buy a Krank amp let us know which one you end up buying and how you like it!
# 6
dougjt
dougjt
03/15/2011 12:52 am
I've demoed a bunch of different Krank amps and always walked away very happy! I heard their customer service can be dodgy

I have heard same thing and also some reliability issues, but they sound great (to me anyways). Plus I can pick up the head and full stack for around grand.I been looking at some of bogner's stuff too but side by side the krank sounded a lot better for the same (ish) price. I love my spider jam it's the perfect home practice amp but I don't think it will cut it, plus it doesn't do the justice my new guitar deserves it is a beast on a real amp.
# 7
JonChorba
JonChorba
03/15/2011 5:36 pm
Originally Posted by: dougjtI have heard same thing and also some reliability issues, but they sound great (to me anyways). Plus I can pick up the head and full stack for around grand.I been looking at some of bogner's stuff too but side by side the krank sounded a lot better for the same (ish) price. I love my spider jam it's the perfect home practice amp but I don't think it will cut it, plus it doesn't do the justice my new guitar deserves it is a beast on a real amp.

Just because you mentioned Bogner and Line 6 in the same sentence, check out the Spider Valve, if you haven't already. I have one and used it for the last cover band I was in where I needed a variety of tones. Very good value for the money. Best of both world when it comes to tubes and modeling.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 8
dougjt
dougjt
03/16/2011 5:32 am
Originally Posted by: JonChorbaJust because you mentioned Bogner and Line 6 in the same sentence, check out the Spider Valve, if you haven't already. I have one and used it for the last cover band I was in where I needed a variety of tones. Very good value for the money. Best of both world when it comes to tubes and modeling.

No I haven't but I will Thanks
# 9
JonChorba
JonChorba
03/21/2011 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: dougjtNo I haven't but I will Thanks

Just to follow up...

I borrowed my brothers 57 strat reissue and plugged it into my Spider Valve last weekend (first time the things been on in months!). The "Texas Flood" preset is unbelievably awesome!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.