View thread

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/17/2011 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo
Preamp
The amp has drive. So much drive! I normally have the gain on 2 and it's plenty. So, I'm thinking of changing some or all of the 5 preamp tubes from 12AX7 to something with less gain like the 12AT7 or 12AU7.

The preamp effect as it is is a smooth overdrive, not very crunchy. I'd like to get more crunchability.
[/quote]
I'm not aware of a higher gain tube preamp tube than the 12ax7. I'm a bit confused though. You said that you have more than enough gain and you run your gain on 2, yet you want more crunch. Well, wouldn't you just turn your gain up more?

Also, something I read and makes a lot of sense. Put power hungry (less sensitive) speakers in your cab. They push your power tubes harder thus cause more breakup.

Originally Posted by: Razbo
Power Amp
6L6's in it now. Probably keep those, but replace with some better quality. I had tossed around the idea of putting in 6V6's because I don't need the volume. Anyone have any comment on this? I haven't found much info on people reducing amp's output.

I've heard of folks removing a power tube, or two depending on how many you have. Will have to read up on 6V6 tubes. My 100w head is rather loud.

Have you considered an attenuator? I just purchased one from Weber Speakers. It's being built now. Hope to have it in the next week or so.

[QUOTE=Razbo]
I am aware of biasing and getting a matched tube set. I know for perfection, we would get the amp re-biased, but a matched set should be pretty tolerable, right? I just go into L&M and pick up a box o' tubes?

I've read several times that matched tubes on preamps is total bogus BS. That it's not necessary, that only the power amp tubes benefit from this.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015