View post (Tubes!)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/17/2011 3:00 pm
I have never changed a tube, so I have no real idea what I am doing. I've read "about" tubes, the various types, how to make them, and all kinds of stuff. But I still could use some kind of feedback if anyone had some input.

My tone quest is something between Slash and Santana. Playing Blues, Classic and Alt mostly. I think subconsciously I want to put a less British tone on the amp, but I guess that would be defeating the design.

I'm looking at a 50 watt Jet City JCA50H. These amps (all the JC line really) are a little shrill with oem tubes. A lot of people change them out, then swear by the amps, so I want to give it a try.

Preamp
The amp has drive. So much drive! I normally have the gain on 2 and it's plenty. So, I'm thinking of changing some or all of the 5 preamp tubes from 12AX7 to something with less gain like the 12AT7 or 12AU7.

The preamp effect as it is is a smooth overdrive, not very crunchy. I'd like to get more crunchability.

Power Amp
6L6's in it now. Probably keep those, but replace with some better quality. I had tossed around the idea of putting in 6V6's because I don't need the volume. Anyone have any comment on this? I haven't found much info on people reducing amp's output.

I am aware of biasing and getting a matched tube set. I know for perfection, we would get the amp re-biased, but a matched set should be pretty tolerable, right? I just go into L&M and pick up a box o' tubes?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.