Glorified Practice

dougjt
dougjt
02/17/2011 7:17 am
I have been using the backing tracks that came with my SpiderJam to practice scales I couldn't take the click, click, click, click anymore lol.This is a Bm track that I used to just run up and down the Pentatonic Boxes and practice all the techniques I have learned so far. It turned in to this so I recorded it. It's not really a song I have not studied any thing on composing songs yet. I just wanted to share my progress with whom ever cares to listen. If I had to give it a name I would call it "Glorified practice"

Doug
# 1
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/17/2011 6:55 pm
You're doing great, Doug! Keep at it.

I'm pretty sure that backing track is "The Thrill Is Gone", too.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 2
dougjt
dougjt
02/18/2011 2:47 am
Originally Posted by: JonChorbaYou're doing great, Doug! Keep at it.

I'm pretty sure that backing track is "The Thrill Is Gone", too.

Thanks Jon
I'm trying to get geared up to play at an open mic and they play stuff like this. I'm not a blues guy but it looks like fun

It's called "Unexcited"
# 3
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/19/2011 2:32 am
Originally Posted by: dougjtThanks Jon
I'm trying to get geared up to play at an open mic and they play stuff like this. I'm not a blues guy but it looks like fun

It's called "Unexcited"

Do it, dude! You are going to have a lot of fun and you are going to get some awesome experience at performing in front of people. That could be a hang up for a lot of guitar players and the best way to do it is to DO IT!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
02/19/2011 6:09 am
A friend of mine (a really good player) been saying the same thing. I have to be honest and say I get nervous just thinking about, but working like crazy to clean everything up.
# 5
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/19/2011 7:00 pm
Originally Posted by: dougjtA friend of mine (a really good player) been saying the same thing. I have to be honest and say I get nervous just thinking about, but working like crazy to clean everything up.

Because it's so unknown, nerves are natural. Just remember to have fun and don't "try" to do anything. Check out a book called "The Inner Game of Music" It has a lot of great insights in overcoming any sort of performance issues.

Like I said before, the experience you gain from just doing it will be invaluable!
# 6
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/20/2011 2:57 am
Hey Doug, your technique is really solid... it easy to tell that you're able to play the notes really well... a couple of things I would suggest thinking about is first, let your soloing breathe a little bit, especially for blues style.. its not about how many notes you play, but what you say with those notes.. like they say "ya gotta bleed a little bit..." so for instance, work with that keyboard line instead of trying to just steam roll over it. The other thing would be to think about your tone as it relates to the mix... the tone you used is really competing with the keyboards (or the keyboards are really competing with you), so I found myself constantly trying to block out one or the other. A bright, clear, high gain-but-not-too-overdriven sound like what David Gilmour uses would fit really well with that backing track. I think you're totally going in the right direction, now you just have to put a bit more soul into it!

Cal
# 7
dougjt
dougjt
02/20/2011 9:24 am
Thanks for listening and for the feedback.
The other thing would be to think about your tone
I usually play heavier crunchy type rhythm stuff and I used my favorite tone (yes I'm one of those heavy metal guys) and it is my first stab at an improv.
so I found myself constantly trying to block out one or the other
After listening a few times it seems if the keyboards were gone it would have sounded better lol. But I just took everything I have learned packed it all in there till I got lost then hit stop. I have already started reworking it I'm going to put a little more time and effort into it.

Again thanks for all the encouragement and feedback. all feedback and criticism is welcome

Doug
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.