Thank you Guitartricks.com

hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
02/04/2011 3:53 pm
I just wanted to let you all know. I am 43 years old. I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar since I was a child. I've never really had the time nor the patience because of the way some teachers want to rush things.
A few years back, I was diagnosed with end stage diabetes along with several other factors that took my ability to work out of the picture. I've since had to learn patience for things and time is now a major abundance.
I got a Copely Acoustic for Christmas (real nice deal $20 from a friend of my son's who was going to pawn it) and it needed some new strings. I did an online search for an online guitar tuner. Well one site lead me to another and finally led me here.
I played around with some of the free lessons that Lisa McCormick has up there and found her instructing so nice and easy, I started strumming and hand picking in no time.
A few more days into the lessons and I decided I wanted more. That's when I decided to join guitartricks.com.
Well another thanks to Christopher Schlegel, I found myself in a pawn shop picking up myself an Axl Strat type and a Peavey amp. Another great deal as the whole package for the two was $118. The Guitar is in almost mint shape and sells for $125+ alone. All I needed was something to get me started in that area.
Got the electric home, made sure it was all nice and polished and tuned up. Hit up the tutorials from Christopher Schlegel and by the end of a few hours, he had me hitting out some simple melodies like House of the Rising Sun and a few others! AWESOME! I can FINALLY start hitting some songs on the guitar!
I am looking forward to learning from these other instructors as well and have shown some of my son's friends these lessons and hopefully they will sign on as well!
Thanks again Guitartricks.com. You've made an old man very happy again!

Howard Anderson
# 1
dman4505
dman4505
02/04/2011 5:19 pm
Congrats and welcome
You can't go wrong learning from Lisa and Chris, they're two of the best.
Be sure and post any questions you might have everyone on here is nice.

Don
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. - John Wooden

Reputation is what other perceive you as being, and their opinion may be right or wrong. Character, however, is what you really are, and nobody truly knows that but you. But you are what matters most. - John Wooden
# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/09/2011 10:39 pm
Hi Howard,

Thanks so much for posting the kind words. We are very happy to hear that the lessons have got you playing some songs!

Keep it up!

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
02/17/2011 6:29 pm
Howard,

Thanks for sharing your story, I can feel the excitement! Sounds like you got a great deal too!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 4
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
02/17/2011 11:15 pm
Neal, don't feel left out! I've been bouncing around and checking out other instructors as well. Everything from the simple Christmas songs to the harder things on here such as Edgar Winters' Frankenstein!
All the instructors there that I've watched have so far taught me more than I've ever known in a few short weeks.
A few weeks ago, I didn't know what a Humbucker Pickup was. I didn't know that the differences between a Stratocaster and a Telacaster. Didn't know anything about the semi-hollow or the steel...
I've watched several of your videos as well, and have been learning alot from you AND the other instructors. I look forward to the day that I can sit down and actually jam in time with some of the songs you've got up there. You do rock! Thanks much to ALL of the instructors here! That monthly payment of $14.99 is a total bargain and I love all you folks for helping me to get this monkey growing :D
By, the way, my wife thanks you all too. Whatever keeps me busy, keeps me from bugging her :D

Love ya guys and gals!
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2011 12:25 am
Hey & welcome, Howard! Glad you are getting value from GT & my lessons.
Originally Posted by: hrandersoniii
I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar since I was a child.
Hit up the tutorials from Christopher Schlegel and by the end of a few hours, he had me hitting out some simple melodies like House of the Rising Sun and a few others! AWESOME! I can FINALLY start hitting some songs on the guitar!

Good deal. :) Thanks for your positive feedback. I wish you the best of success with the guitar. Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
bigby56
bigby56
02/18/2011 8:21 pm
Well done Howard
I am 53 and started with my first guitar this jan. I feel that I am really making progress with both Lisa and Christopher as well (if you are an old man at 43 what does that make me!!). I bought a Yamaha f310 from a well known internet company but now have found my local guitar store and will be using them from now on.
Its the finger picking that I love I watch my hand doing things that I would never believe it would do especially after 5 weeks.
I have now taken to singing and sadly my wife has to suffer that (are there singing lessons on the internet!!!
Keep enjoying I am sure we both will.
Bigby
# 7
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
02/20/2011 2:16 am
Kinda makes ya feel young again to learn something like the guitar this late in life doesn't it? My wife (bless her patience) has had to suffer through a lot of bad twangs as I've been learning :D Start strumming a tune and get that twang in there.. she comes home from work and asks me what I've been learning.. tell her some Black Sabbath riffs and she rolls her eyes and leaves LOL.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.